It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:24 am Advanced search

Taking a different approach to independent EN and EP amperag

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Re: Taking a different approach to independent EN and EP amp

Postby zank » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:16 am

Esenti, on your machine, you might want to try setting the offset at +20% as a starting point.

On the HTP 221, I'd probably try setting the EN at 70-80% as a starting point.
Mike Zanconato
Zanconato Custom Cycles
@mzank on Instagram
Dynasty 280DX
Meco Midget
zank
Ace

Postby zank » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:35 am

My pleasure guys. Please post your findings as well. These inverters are pretty amazing. We all need to learn from each other. Sometimes a solution to a problem requires going off the beaten path.
Mike Zanconato
Zanconato Custom Cycles
@mzank on Instagram
Dynasty 280DX
Meco Midget
zank
Ace

Postby Bill Beauregard » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:05 am

Zank;

You're killing me here! I want detail! What did the upgrade cost? Where did you buy it? How do I install it? Months ago when Terry (Shovelon) talked about the 350 with amplitude I started having buyer's remorse. I take it it is now available.
Bill Beauregard
Weldmonger

Postby zank » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:03 am

Bill, it's part number 301235. Retail is $499. Maine Oxy ordered it for me locally. It was brand new when I got it, so I couldn't find it online. The card goes in the SD slot and stays in.super easy. The other cool feature that I haven't really dug into yet is you can change the waveshape for each half. So, for example, you could have tri wave on EN and advanced square on EP.
Mike Zanconato
Zanconato Custom Cycles
@mzank on Instagram
Dynasty 280DX
Meco Midget
zank
Ace

Postby Oscar » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:58 pm

zank wrote:Bill, it's part number 301235. Retail is $499. Maine Oxy ordered it for me locally. It was brand new when I got it, so I couldn't find it online. The card goes in the SD slot and stays in.super easy. The other cool feature that I haven't really dug into yet is you can change the waveshape for each half. So, for example, you could have tri wave on EN and advanced square on EP.

If the big jolt of amps on the EP side is what is truly doing the oxide-breaking more so than the time-based balance shift, which based from your findings it indeed is, I'd suspect that using a triangular wave on the EP side to keep the amperage peak high, while lowering the overall heat back into the tungsten more so than an advanced square wave will help out just as much as using more EP:EN ratio and keeping the EN% balance up higher near 100% as much as possible. Think "area under the curve".

Amazing what lines of code will do in the real world. Just a bunch of 0's and 1's on a chip. Yet the results in reality are magnificent.
HTP Invertig 221 DV w/ Arctic Chill cooler DV.
Millermatic 211 Inverter w/ Spoolmate-150
Eastwood Versacut 40A Plasma cutter
Oscar
Weldmonger

Postby MinnesotaDave » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:31 pm

Oscar wrote:
zank wrote:Bill, it's part number 301235. Retail is $499. Maine Oxy ordered it for me locally. It was brand new when I got it, so I couldn't find it online. The card goes in the SD slot and stays in.super easy. The other cool feature that I haven't really dug into yet is you can change the waveshape for each half. So, for example, you could have tri wave on EN and advanced square on EP.

If the big jolt of amps on the EP side is what is truly doing the oxide-breaking more so than the time-based balance shift, which based from your findings it indeed is, I'd suspect that using a triangular wave on the EP side to keep the amperage peak high, while lowering the overall heat back into the tungsten more so than an advanced square wave will help out just as much as using more EP:EN ratio and keeping the EN% balance up higher near 100% as much as possible. Think "area under the curve".

Amazing what lines of code will do in the real world. Just a bunch of 0's and 1's on a chip. Yet the results in reality are magnificent.

The wave form is also adjustable for each half??

While that is actually super cool.....Holy mother of crap! Imagine the Noob questions that are coming in another couple years.

When we tell them to list their settings before we can help, the list will be 50 items long! :o

Then after reading all that, and them trying 200 different combinations....
.....the problem will be they were running 75/25 gas the whole time and didn't check when told..... :lol:

I better go wax my Airco and give it a hug :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby Bill Beauregard » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:55 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Oscar wrote:

The wave form is also adjustable for each half??

While that is actually super cool.....Holy mother of crap! Imagine the Noob questions that are coming in another couple years.

You'll need a lot of wax, and big arms. The Airco like a big woman gives a lot to love, and throws a lot of heat on a cold winter night.
When we tell them to list their settings before we can help, the list will be 50 items long! :o

.....the problem will be they were running 75/25 gas the whole time and didn't check when told..... :lol:

Bill Beauregard
Weldmonger

Postby Oscar » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:04 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:The wave form is also adjustable for each half??

Yup, each half of the waveform shape can be set independently. Good thing noobs can't afford the software upgrade, let alone the machine. :D

If I ever buy another TIG, it will either be a 280DX, or a 350DX. Or a Stel (HTP) if they ever decide to give either one of those Miller's a run for their money. It would likely be $1500 cheaper. I can only dream :)
HTP Invertig 221 DV w/ Arctic Chill cooler DV.
Millermatic 211 Inverter w/ Spoolmate-150
Eastwood Versacut 40A Plasma cutter
Oscar
Weldmonger

Postby Drifta-X » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:56 pm

Wow, very cool indeed!!!
Don't want to buy the everlast 210ext quite as much now lol.
But think still be awesome first welder.
I have a soldering iron!
Drifta-X
Guide

Postby MinnesotaDave » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Bill Beauregard wrote:You'll need a lot of wax, and big arms. The Airco like a big woman gives a lot to love, and throws a lot of heat on a cold winter night.

Yep - I know a little about that "gives off a lot of heat" part :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

PreviousNext

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding