Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Imagine the possibilities.

Mick
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

John, that is tight! Looks sweet!
    Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:38 pm

zank wrote:John, that is tight! Looks sweet!
Thanks Zank!
Learn 6010 and you will learn to weld
Follow the progress of my students on Twitter @PentaWelding
Jds2835
    Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:05 pm

Hello from a new member. I am trying to find more info on the independent amperage upgrade for the dynasty 280. I called my LWS and they said that it was not available. I called Miller directly and they told me it was not available. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm a welding instructor for 11th grade students and I use Jody's videos every week. The students really enjoy tem. I'm a CWI and do some aerospace work on the side and I'm working on my first bicycle frame. I use a Dynasty 350 at work but I'm looking to upgrade my home TA185(awesome machine) with a Dynasty280. Thanks
dave powelson
    Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

Jds2835 wrote:Hello from a new member. I am trying to find more info on the independent amperage upgrade for the dynasty 280. I called my LWS and they said that it was not available. I called Miller directly and they told me it was not available. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
MEMORY CARD,DYN 280DX EXPANSION AC INDEPENDENT
301235 $499.00

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig ... ccessories

Above is right off Miller's site.

(From my own experience--an LWS or the person on the Miller phone bank--often may not have the
where-with-all to ferret out answers, which are found on Miller's site; with just a tad bit of effort.)
Jds2835
    Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:05 pm

Dave - thanks for the help! I feel a little dumb as I'm usually the person that over researches everything. I didn't hit the drop down menu. I will contact my LWS this week for a quote and prove them with the part #s.

MEMORY CARD,DYN 280DX EXPANSION AC INDEPENDENT
301235 $499.00    

Yeah, my welding shop didn't even know the 280 was out yet when I asked them to order the card. I gave them the part number and they ordered it up.
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Excellent work Zank! :) It's always worth the sweat to spend some extra time with new stuff and trying to learn it as well as possible.

This topic really reminds about TIG-orbital welding. There is basic settings that you should follow, but sometimes setting your machine completely different creates much better results.
-Markus-

Thanks, Markus! I enjoy trying to get the settings dialed in for my style. Sometimes I get so far off track though that I need to start over though with the defaults :lol:
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

I just got the expansion for my 210dx. You guys mentioned being able to change the waveshape on both sides, but It seams that I can only adjust it for EN. I just did an update right before I plugged in the expansion. When I started welding with it at near 200 amps it vaporized the end of my tungsten. I realized that I was set on soft so I changed it to advanced and it was much better. I then realized that I had changed the EN to advanced, but the EP was still on soft. I tried, but I couldn't find the setting to change the EP wave.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc

When the waveshape comes up after pressing the gas/dig button, press the amps button to toggle between EN and EP waveshape.
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

That worked. Thanks
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc
Dcohee1
    Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:14 pm

Does anyone know if the basic Dynasty 280 models are capable of the independent AC card upgrade as well? Or if u get any of the other wave shapes with it? Doubt it. Just bought that machine and wanna know as much as possible before I drop $500. Kinda why I got that machine, plus the deal I got on ebay. Lol Thankyou!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Dcohee1 wrote:Does anyone know if the basic Dynasty 280 models are capable of the independent AC card upgrade as well? Or if u get any of the other wave shapes with it? Doubt it. Just bought that machine and wanna know as much as possible before I drop $500. Kinda why I got that machine, plus the deal I got on ebay. Lol Thankyou!
I believe it is only the dx model, but Miller would be able to confirm.

Dcohee1 wrote:Does anyone know if the basic Dynasty 280 models are capable of the independent AC card upgrade as well? Or if u get any of the other wave shapes with it? Doubt it. Just bought that machine and wanna know as much as possible before I drop $500. Kinda why I got that machine, plus the deal I got on ebay. Lol Thankyou!
As far as I know the upgrade is for the DX model, and the quote I got for the upgrade was $642, way over priced IMO
Call Miller and know for sure 920-734-9821
Richard
Website
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

This makes me really want to experiment with the Dynasty 280DX at school, I don't think it has the upgrade, but It still has an overwhelming amount of options to explore and when I used it the first time I kept it pretty basic for the most part. Those welds look amazing

sbaker56 wrote:This makes me really want to experiment with the Dynasty 280DX at school, I don't think it has the upgrade, but It still has an overwhelming amount of options to explore and when I used it the first time I kept it pretty basic for the most part. Those welds look amazing
I have a 700dx at work and having the independent adjustment is really nice, for general work it doesn't play a big role but there are times when it great to have.
Richard
Website
ODNT
    Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:03 pm

Zank - "and went as high as a 1.0/1.5 EN/EP ratio"...Care to offer any insight as to general effects of further imbalance or frequency variations? - I'm that dangerous noob w/dyn400 - Thanks!

ODNT wrote:Zank - "and went as high as a 1.0/1.5 EN/EP ratio"...Care to offer any insight as to general effects of further imbalance or frequency variations? - I'm that dangerous noob w/dyn400 - Thanks!
If you're welding thinner aluminum , say 1/8" or less then your EN requirements are not as great as 1/4" (obviously) so on the 1/8 you can use more EP giving you a lot of cleaning action. Best way is get some practice material and try different settings.
While Zank found for HIS application a ratio of 1.0/1.5 EN to EP that isn't a law written in stone, just his preferred settting for his application, IOW try it yourself...

On the 1/4" your pushing towards the higher end of amperage requirements, so you'll need higher EN, so the headroom for more EP may not be available.

Also remember you may want to use larger dia. tungsten to tolerate all this.
Richard
Website

Also the EN/EP ratios are always in conjunction with the AC balance. One is in the current domain and the other is in the time domain. If you watch Jody's video he explains where & how the balance comes into play.
ODNT
    Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:03 pm

Ok...I'll give it a shot at lower amps, but I'm almost always above 250A on aluminum and generally run lower hz as I don't see (maybe missing?) advantages at the higher amps. Thanks guys!
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

It’s the switching of electron flow from en to ep that breaks up the oxidized layer. When electrons flow one way the heat is directed into the metal, but is resisted by the oxidation. When it switches direction it directs the heat more into the tungsten but also the change in direction of flow breaks up the oxidation layer. The faster you switch between the two becomes a balancing act, between cleaning and penetration.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:It’s the switching of electron flow from en to ep that breaks up the oxidized layer. When electrons flow one way the heat is directed into the metal, but is resisted by the oxidation. When it switches direction it directs the heat more into the tungsten but also the change in direction of flow breaks up the oxidation layer. The faster you switch between the two becomes a balancing act, between cleaning and penetration.
It's actually quite interesting that during the DCEN portion the electrons do indeed traverse the entire aluminum oxide layer -- this is evidenced by the pure aluminum substrate indeed melting underneath, while the oxide layer stays in place, still in it's intact "skin" layer on the top. It's only when the base metal becomes the emitter on the DCEP cycle that the oxide layer is actually broken up, and floats out of the way. I found out the reason is because it is believed when the base metal becomes the emitter, there is an electric field that is created that is not created the same way during the DCEN cycle. On the DCEP cycle, the electric field causes the oxide layer (which is normally a dielectric) to suffer dielectric-breakdown and then is "forced" to become a conductor, which causes physical breakdown of it's own grain-boundaries, and then floats out of the way as the aluminum underneath becomes molten.

Source: Cathodic Cleaning of Oxides from Aluminum Surface by Variable-Polarity Arc, SUPPLEMENT TO THE WELDING JOURNAL, JANUARY 2010, R. SARRAFI AND R. KOVACEVIC
    Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:15 am

Great find and explanation!!
"Be one with the weld"