Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Oscar wrote:
Yup, each half of the waveform shape can be set independently. Good thing noobs can't afford the software upgrade, let alone the machine. :D

If I ever buy another TIG, it will either be a 280DX, or a 350DX. Or a Stel (HTP) if they ever decide to give either one of those Miller's a run for their money. It would likely be $1500 cheaper. I can only dream :)
I like Miller and Lincoln products just fine - but when the government outlaws my Airco for using too much power and being too simple to operate, HTP might get my order ;)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

zank,
I have been following this thread and first want to thank you for sharing what you have found and being so helpful to us all. I don't even know where to begin as far as questions. One of the first ones that came to my head is I wonder if the Lincoln Aspect 375 has this capability as well? My next question was already answered so far as being able to adjust different wave forms for both the EP and EN side. Correct me if I am wrong but since you have more amperage on the EP side shouldn't your electrode see more degradation with longer use that it does now? Looking at the sample welds (which I still don't like you for ;) ) I see black smoke on the edges of the cleaned zone and a little in the weld itself. Is this from the material or the fact that there is to much cleaning action pulling impurities into the weld? Also, how in the world did that 1/16" tungsten hold up to that amperage? And I can go on and on :lol:
-Jonathan
    Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:38 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:zank,
I have been following this thread and first want to thank you for sharing what you have found and being so helpful to us all. I don't even know where to begin as far as questions. One of the first ones that came to my head is I wonder if the Lincoln Aspect 375 has this capability as well? My next question was already answered so far as being able to adjust different wave forms for both the EP and EN side. Correct me if I am wrong but since you have more amperage on the EP side shouldn't your electrode see more degradation with longer use that it does now? Looking at the sample welds (which I still don't like you for ;) ) I see black smoke on the edges of the cleaned zone and a little in the weld itself. Is this from the material or the fact that there is to much cleaning action pulling impurities into the weld? Also, how in the world did that 1/16" tungsten hold up to that amperage? And I can go on and on :lol:
-Jonathan
Jonathan the Aspect has the same features with the acceptation of splitting the wave, triangle one side square the other side etc. You can split he wave with the V310T but it has no adjustment of the EP EN beyond the balance.
When I was messing around with AC on the Aspect I was able to keep a darn near needle sharp 3/32" E3 tungsten at about 100 amps with a triangle wave but I never saved the settings. I was able to make about a 1/16" fillet on a 1/8" lap joint using 0.035 mig wire, wasn't pretty but I was amazed at the control you have over the arc.

Its hard to focus on experimenting with things and keep an eye on the shop and help the students at the same time. I'm looking forward to getting back to school and try Zank's settings. Thanks for starting this Zank!

John
Learn 6010 and you will learn to weld
Follow the progress of my students on Twitter @PentaWelding
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Oscar wrote:
Yup, each half of the waveform shape can be set independently. Good thing noobs can't afford the software upgrade, let alone the machine. :D

If I ever buy another TIG, it will either be a 280DX, or a 350DX. Or a Stel (HTP) if they ever decide to give either one of those Miller's a run for their money. It would likely be $1500 cheaper. I can only dream :)
I like Miller and Lincoln products just fine - but when the government outlaws my Airco for using too much power and being too simple to operate, HTP might get my order ;)
Blasphemy!
ESENTI
    Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 am

Few can weld like zank , so I declare fun and follower of Zank and i will start experimenting .Actually i have already did and seems there is a lot of improvement . There must be the perfect equation for each machine where you can achieve the perfect welding .Im Pleased so i want to dedicate you a poem of KAVAFI

Ithaka
As you set out for Ithaka
hope the voyage is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery.
Laistrygonians and Cyclops,
angry Poseidon—don’t be afraid of them:
you’ll never find things like that on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high,
as long as a rare excitement
stirs your spirit and your body.
wild Poseidon—you won’t encounter them
unless you bring them along inside your soul,
unless your soul sets them up in front of you.
(it means like goals , dedication and purpose in what you do .
True artist like poetry i think ...
ESENTI .
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

ESENTI wrote:Few can weld like zank , so I declare fun and follower of Zank and i will start experimenting .Actually i have already did and seems there is a lot of improvement . There must be the perfect equation for each machine where you can achieve the perfect welding .Im Pleased so i want to dedicate you a poem of KAVAFI

Ithaka
ESENTI .
I like bacon.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Bill Beauregard wrote:
ESENTI wrote:Few can weld like zank , so I declare fun and follower of Zank and i will start experimenting .Actually i have already did and seems there is a lot of improvement . There must be the perfect equation for each machine where you can achieve the perfect welding .Im Pleased so i want to dedicate you a poem of KAVAFI

Ithaka
ESENTI .
I like bacon.
:lol:

I had some time today to play around with the Aspect. The settings for the pic were 400 frequency, 85 balance, 50 EP and 150 EN. Since I started experimenting with the EN EP stuff I decided to make one of the numbers 100 or 150 and set the other as needed since it is basically a ratio anyway. Changing the EN EP values will change the max setting you have set the machine at so if I don't have enough amperage I just turn the amps up and the ratio of the EN EP is preserved, their values just go up and it gets difficult to keep track of the ratio. This is probably and extra step but it makes it easier for me to keep track of changes I'm making.
It's not pretty I know but that is 1/8" material so that is like a 1/16"/3/23" fillet. I used 0.035" 4043 MIG filler, tungsten was 3/32" either E3, Rare Earth or 2% Lan the color is worn off and those are the three I typically use. The tungsten stayed pretty sharp but I think I can keep it sharper by tweaking the setting some more.

It just amazes me how flexible this and other machines like are with AC.

John
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

A lap weld on 1/8 material and you were able to leave the top edge, on aluminium? I'd say its a winner.

Mick

Thanks Mick, I was a little shocked how focused I could get the arc. Like Zank said its pretty close to DC tig.
BTW I was using a triangular wave.

John
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Imagine the possibilities.

Mick
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

John, that is tight! Looks sweet!

zank wrote:John, that is tight! Looks sweet!
Thanks Zank!
Jds2835
    Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:05 pm

Hello from a new member. I am trying to find more info on the independent amperage upgrade for the dynasty 280. I called my LWS and they said that it was not available. I called Miller directly and they told me it was not available. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm a welding instructor for 11th grade students and I use Jody's videos every week. The students really enjoy tem. I'm a CWI and do some aerospace work on the side and I'm working on my first bicycle frame. I use a Dynasty 350 at work but I'm looking to upgrade my home TA185(awesome machine) with a Dynasty280. Thanks
dave powelson
    Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

Jds2835 wrote:Hello from a new member. I am trying to find more info on the independent amperage upgrade for the dynasty 280. I called my LWS and they said that it was not available. I called Miller directly and they told me it was not available. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
MEMORY CARD,DYN 280DX EXPANSION AC INDEPENDENT
301235 $499.00

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig ... ccessories

Above is right off Miller's site.

(From my own experience--an LWS or the person on the Miller phone bank--often may not have the
where-with-all to ferret out answers, which are found on Miller's site; with just a tad bit of effort.)
Jds2835
    Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:05 pm

Dave - thanks for the help! I feel a little dumb as I'm usually the person that over researches everything. I didn't hit the drop down menu. I will contact my LWS this week for a quote and prove them with the part #s.

MEMORY CARD,DYN 280DX EXPANSION AC INDEPENDENT
301235 $499.00    

Yeah, my welding shop didn't even know the 280 was out yet when I asked them to order the card. I gave them the part number and they ordered it up.
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Excellent work Zank! :) It's always worth the sweat to spend some extra time with new stuff and trying to learn it as well as possible.

This topic really reminds about TIG-orbital welding. There is basic settings that you should follow, but sometimes setting your machine completely different creates much better results.
-Markus-

Thanks, Markus! I enjoy trying to get the settings dialed in for my style. Sometimes I get so far off track though that I need to start over though with the defaults :lol:
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

I just got the expansion for my 210dx. You guys mentioned being able to change the waveshape on both sides, but It seams that I can only adjust it for EN. I just did an update right before I plugged in the expansion. When I started welding with it at near 200 amps it vaporized the end of my tungsten. I realized that I was set on soft so I changed it to advanced and it was much better. I then realized that I had changed the EN to advanced, but the EP was still on soft. I tried, but I couldn't find the setting to change the EP wave.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc

When the waveshape comes up after pressing the gas/dig button, press the amps button to toggle between EN and EP waveshape.
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

That worked. Thanks
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc
Dcohee1
    Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:14 pm

Does anyone know if the basic Dynasty 280 models are capable of the independent AC card upgrade as well? Or if u get any of the other wave shapes with it? Doubt it. Just bought that machine and wanna know as much as possible before I drop $500. Kinda why I got that machine, plus the deal I got on ebay. Lol Thankyou!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Dcohee1 wrote:Does anyone know if the basic Dynasty 280 models are capable of the independent AC card upgrade as well? Or if u get any of the other wave shapes with it? Doubt it. Just bought that machine and wanna know as much as possible before I drop $500. Kinda why I got that machine, plus the deal I got on ebay. Lol Thankyou!
I believe it is only the dx model, but Miller would be able to confirm.

Dcohee1 wrote:Does anyone know if the basic Dynasty 280 models are capable of the independent AC card upgrade as well? Or if u get any of the other wave shapes with it? Doubt it. Just bought that machine and wanna know as much as possible before I drop $500. Kinda why I got that machine, plus the deal I got on ebay. Lol Thankyou!
As far as I know the upgrade is for the DX model, and the quote I got for the upgrade was $642, way over priced IMO
Call Miller and know for sure 920-734-9821
Richard
Website