Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
nick.k
    Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:26 pm

Hello
I'm looking at buying the Stahlwerk 200 ac/dc tig welder with plasma.
Has anyone got one of these machines? Any issues, what is the service like from Stahlwerk? Can anyone tell me if it has similar internals to any of the other Chinese machines?
For repair under guarantee I will have to send it back to Germany, I live in Ireland so that could get expensive if it is unreliable.

I will be using it for light stainless fabrication, mostly for fun and occasionally I work with a bronze sculptor on his bigger projects. I work in a small boat yard, I started stick welding about five years ago with help from some of the guys, I have no qualifications but I'm tolerated on trailer repairs, sticking on anodes etc :D
Nick
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Hi
Cant comment on details but Stahlwerk is sold under differnt names. Look for Jasic welders and you will find similar
machines. Jasic replacement boards are available, freight from china are sometimes cheaper than within Europe if you get problems and want to repair by your own.

I use Parweld, chinese welder but local service and parts are available.
nick.k

Thanks for the reply Anders
I know some of the older Stahlwerk stuff looks identical to many other Chinese machines but the newer ones are styled differently. Are the innards Jassic or some other common make? This makes a difference to me to know for sure because then I know I have some option or repairing it locally without having to send it back to Germany.
I too have a Parweld stick inverter; never been really happy with it and other inverters I use at work are much nicer to weld with.

Anyone out there with experience of a stahlwerk machine?

Nick
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Sorry , forgot the new Stahlwerk looks more like BenRoyal than Jasic, maybe its still the same underneath.

Funny when you mention it, I have never tried to stick weld on my Parweld tig. Have to try that to see how it behaves
nordlicht
    Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi!

I own a Stahlwerk machine (AC/DC 200 P) for about 2 years...

I works quite decent! Never had problem with the welding functions.

Althought I need to say, to sometimes the arc start in AC mode is not as reliable as it is with the high priced machines I have welded. I cannot precisely determine, why that is, maybe it is not the machine, but the electrode.. But it happens to rarely to really bother me...

The plasma function is more a gadget I think, is it does not work reliably on my model..

In short:

DC mode: Excellent operation, like you expect it on a high priced machine.
AC mode: Works good, but sometimes arc starting trouble.

The delivered foot pedal is a bit clumsy, but works also good. The cable is a bit short.

For the use you inted, I would say: Go for it, it will serve you very good!
nick.k

Thanks for the reply Nordlicht
What mostly do you weld?
I'm still undecided about what I'm going to buy, I have to admit that the plasma was one of the features that was was persuading me to go for the Stahlwerk over say an AC RTech. I know the RTech units can be had for much less with other labels on them but they are well known for their support when things go wrong. What doesn't work with your plasma?
Nick
maintmech1245
    Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm

I live in the US, and happened to see that same welder/plasma cutter on Amazon a couple of days ago. It had a lot of bad reviews and complaints of problems right out of the box. That doesn't mean it hasn't been fixed, just wanted to let you know.
nick.k

I saw some amazon reviews, but those that I saw were quite old, one related to a foot pedal issue but I didn't see any other that related to problems with the equipment.
Considering the value that this gear seems to represent and their (conditional) five year guarantee, I think it is really surprising how little comment there is on the internet by people who have actually bought and used it?
Nick
nick.k

Enough thinking about it!
Today I bought the Stahlwerk 200 tig with plasma S. I also bought the water cooler which looks the same as sold by many other brands but at €300 looks very reasonably priced.
Delivery in a few days.
I have a few weeks work coming up to help create a large sculpture in 'bronze' plate. Mostly my work is to cut, shape and fit the plates and build the stainless armature. I am a beginner in tig welding but want to improve my skills.
If anyone is interested, happy to report on my impressions of the Stahlwerk machine.
Nick.
nick.k

The new welder arrived last night.
Very quick dispatch from Stahlwerk, they sent it on the day I ordered it. UPS tracking let me follow the delivery progress.
Everything correct as per the order and no damages.

A couple of notes for anyone else thinking of ordering one..
I would have preferred the front cover in English but forgot to ask for it.
When it comes, the model name on the box and the machine is different to the model name on the website and order? Took me a bit of time to check I had been sent what I wanted, especially as I didn't understand the front panel.

Nick
philip1959
    Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:47 am

hi all
I've been the owner of a stahlwerk ac/dc tig/plasma set, and only recently started to use it
I've done approx 20mins tig welding only to find that the High frequency has stopped working, followed by a smell of burning within the set.
the tig still works if i scratch start it also the plasma don't work either,possibly the same HF problem.