Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Douggiie
    Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:20 pm

Hey guys,
I am just starting out on buying my first Tig machine and need a little help in what to buy. I want to be able to do all types of metals with the main types being stainless, aluminum and wrought iron with one machine. I like working around the house on different projects, so I need something that can do a lot of things. I had a meg welder that I got from Harbor Freight and I have nothing good to say about that machine. I need something that can do more and not fall apart after the first project. I have to end this with I have this thing I do with everything I buy and that is to figure out what it can't do first. This bugs my wife and she never buys me anything electronic because I always take it back to get a better one. She just gives me gift cards now and say Happy Birthday or Merry Christmas have fun with what ever you buy. I believe most guys are like me with their tools and what they like, so I hope you guys can help me out in my quest for my first Tig.

Thanks Guys
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Welcome to the forum!

The ability to weld aluminum means an AC/DC TIG machine is what you're looking for. To start addressing your question, one question you need to answer is "how thick". A 200 amp machine will just get you into 1/4" aluminum.

Another question is budget. When I first started looking for a TIG machine I only considered a transformer-based machine from one of the well-known American manufacturers. These machines have about the same footprint as a refrigerator, and can weigh up to 800 or so pounds. I stumbled across WT&T.com and saw Jody's video reviews of an inverter-based machine made by a "non traditional" (read: Chinese) provider. For a little more money I was able to get a new machine that weighs 35 pounds instead of 800, it is dual voltage (runs on both 110v wall current or 220v service), and has many bells and whistles that the transformers do not have. Which is not to say there's anything wrong with transformer machines: the country was built by those machines and people on this board are doing amazing work with them.

Other than the bad experience with the HF MIG welder, have you done any other welding? Oxy-acetylene skills transfer directly to TIG, and many of the basics surrounding MIG and stick welding apply to TIG.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

I got a Everlast PowerTig 185DV, it cost me $1000 shipped with regulator, tig torch, stinger, ground clamp, foot pedal, and a few collets/collet bodies. It does ac/dc tig up to 185 amp, stick up to 150 amp dc, and so far has been great.
Douggiie

Artie F. Emm wrote:Welcome to the forum!

The ability to weld aluminum means an AC/DC TIG machine is what you're looking for. To start addressing your question, one question you need to answer is "how thick". A 200 amp machine will just get you into 1/4" aluminum.

Another question is budget. When I first started looking for a TIG machine I only considered a transformer-based machine from one of the well-known American manufacturers. These machines have about the same footprint as a refrigerator, and can weigh up to 800 or so pounds. I stumbled across WT&T.com and saw Jody's video reviews of an inverter-based machine made by a "non traditional" (read: Chinese) provider. For a little more money I was able to get a new machine that weighs 35 pounds instead of 800, it is dual voltage (runs on both 110v wall current or 220v service), and has many bells and whistles that the transformers do not have. Which is not to say there's anything wrong with transformer machines: the country was built by those machines and people on this board are doing amazing work with them.

Other than the bad experience with the HF MIG welder, have you done any other welding? Oxy-acetylene skills transfer directly to TIG, and many of the basics surrounding MIG and stick welding apply to TIG.

Hey thanks for responding to my post and the only other welding I've done was in high school years ago. As for what type of work I would be doing with the machine is working around the house on projects. The first thing I found out I couldn't do with the MIG welder was repair a heavy aluminum patio chair that had a crack in the frame. This is what started me looking for something better and buying books on all the different types of welding. We had a stick welder in my shop class in high school and I became pretty good at working with that type of a machine. The two projects I want to do are a stainless steel cart for my first TIG machine and then a stainless steel grade for backyard fireplace. I believe this will give me the practice I need to do other projects I am looking at around the house.
Douggiie

dsmabe wrote:I got a Everlast PowerTig 185DV, it cost me $1000 shipped with regulator, tig torch, stinger, ground clamp, foot pedal, and a few collets/collet bodies. It does ac/dc tig up to 185 amp, stick up to 150 amp dc, and so far has been great.
Hey this is a good starting point for my research on what I may need to buy. The price is high but I know in order to get something I want to use I will have to pay for it. I just don't want to spend the money and find out it's not what I want or need for my projects. I will do some checking on this model and can you keep me in the loop with how it is working for you?

Thanks
dsmabe

I normally will post fairly often so just keep an eye out. I also have 2 short videos on YouTube of my initial thoughts.
I did have problems with sales/shipping but the machine has been great. As of right now I have around 5-10 hours of arc time on it (ac and dc tig, dc stick). My biggest complaint is the regulator, I had to tighten everything ALOT TIGHTER then I should have had to, otherwise it leaked badly. You could turn the tank off and pressure would bleed off within 5 seconds, now it takes 2-3days to bleed off.
dsmabe

[youtube]Everlast Powertig 185 review: http://youtu.be/-zamBqR8xJ0[/youtube]
[youtube]Everlast Powertig 185 Dinse 25-35 adapter: http://youtu.be/8lmUcu7-XVs[/youtube]
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Man junk that regulator first chance you get. Mine was sucking atmosphere from the backside through the pressure relief, in addition to just leaking argon when I wasn't actually welding and gas was flowing through the torch.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Can't comment on the regulator as never used that one. I have a Victor flowmeter. I also have the Everlast 185 it's a good machine, simple controls and works well. Look at the AHP200x also. I'm demoing one of those right now and well be doing a full review one I get some more time with it. So far, very capable machine for the money. Does great with E6010 welding electrode that a lot of inverters have difficulty running. The 185 included. The AHP was built with a larger transformer to give it in essence more arc force to help the entry level welder be more successful with stick welding. Both would fit the bill for what you are wanting to do.
dsmabe

I plan on getting a dual regulator as soon as I can afford it, that way I can back purge.