Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

pipe
Last edited by hacadacalopolis on Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

First the best of luck to you! The best advise I can offer is to keep your nerves as calm as you can. Nerves usually can kill the best of welders. Go in do your best and don't over think anything. I have no experience with inconel so I cannot help you there but the other tests I can. Is the test Monday morning or will you have some time to practice? If you can, give them a call back and get us all the info involved with the tests. This will help us help you.
-Jonathan
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Haven't done inconel pipe, but have welded lots of inconel. It's a little "buttery" but for the most part not to difficult. Approach it like you would any other weld and you'll do fine.
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

The difficulty in tigging fancier materials comes when open rooting.more shrinkage and less wetting out.harder to manipulate the weld pool and direct the heat,needs an ultra tight arc length that carbon doesnt.then the possibility of cold lap on fills and cap is greater
Dancing with the blue lady
hacadacalopolis

I do not have time to practice. Monday morning, the 15th, I will be going to the doctor with somebody from HR and most likely do urinalysis and physical, I think i heard something about a breathing test too. After that the background, U know the usual stuff... Then I will be testing.
My instructor was telling me after he was on the phone with one of the guys that he wasnt in need of welders with what we( our school) are familiar with until January. While I was on phone with him, I was very quick to just say yes since he had a position open :o , So I went with that.

Im as calm as I can be under the hood. The only thing that holds me back is some hereditary symptoms and the way I hold the Tig Torch on overhead. I tend to grasp the handle with a "sign of the horns" hand gesture

@Jon, I wish i did call back on friday about specs. All i can say is i know I am confident enough to go at it like i do at school.
Walking into a Large Pipe facility for the first time might have me trembling- All i can do is keep breathing and light up, lol.

Also,
I know i have awful pics, This was one that we did a destructive test- I think 7 1/2" in length 1 1/2" wide 2x2. 2root 2cap. I actually did 2+ root where i thought i had awful tie ins... The root had no signs of any cracks and no pinholes. I feel good about that other than my filler feeding.
tig bust.JPG
tig bust.JPG (52.86 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
Stupid me went really fast on middle and second bead for cap stringers. Did not penetrate and I had identical cracking where cap bends were side by side. Its one hell of a good thing i know what i did though wrong. on pic it even looks very close like cold lap on the last stringer. BTW, I started from the upper side in the picture... I'm sure nobody has any trouble figuring that out though.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

Give it hell! Good luck!
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Good luck and let us know how you do!
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

How did your test go?
-Jonathan
hacadacalopolis

pipe
Last edited by hacadacalopolis on Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

hacadacalopolis wrote:Getting held up with occup Doc...
What issue?

No fun!

Steve S
hacadacalopolis

pipe
Last edited by hacadacalopolis on Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Like everyone else, I am telling you to not get your self over stressed about this test. Look ... even if you blow out, you will have the experience taking one. I can't quite remember what my first tests for jobs were like (on the job head injury with memory loss and too long ago), but I DO remember that pass or fail it is all a learning experience. I have seen plenty of guys, and I bet I did it myself, fail a test, learn from the mistakes, and come back stronger.

Let us know how it is going!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Boomer, it looks like he's having a medical issue with the occupational Dr.

That's a PITA and could be almost anything, from lung-function for a respirator to high blood-pressure, or even a hernia.

At least he gets time to prep for the test while the Med jerks him around...

Steve S
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Boomer, it looks like he's having a medical issue with the occupational Dr.

That's a PITA and could be almost anything, from lung-function for a respirator to high blood-pressure, or even a hernia.

At least he gets time to prep for the test while the Med jerks him around...

Steve S
Those breathing/lung test suck....I remembering telling he doctor, I just don't have anymore damn air...lol
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
hacadacalopolis

pipe