Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Raffus
    Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:38 pm

First beads. Any suggestions
Attachments
First beads
First beads
image.jpg (36.74 KiB) Viewed 514 times
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

If that's your first on ally congratulations - you are 99% there already - only seat time will improve consistency - only comment from someone that does'nt do alot of it is judging by the slight discoloration / soot & erratic etc zone you appear to have marginal gas cover - maybe borderline lack of flow maybe torch angle / stickout or cup size - I'm sure one of the aluminum gurus will reply soon - perhaps you could post your setup to make their life easier.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Looking good overall. Can you provide us your specs and machine? This will be most helpful in attempting to offer advise.
-Jonathan
Raffus

Everlast 210 ext.

100 amp
20% ac balance
Freq 120
35 or so on flow meter

17 air cooled with 2% lanthinated 3/32
aeroplain
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

If it were me, I'd say turn your gas down to about 15, amps up to 125, balance to 60-70% penetration, but I'm no expert.

Kent
Raffus

Ac balance up to 60 or ac high frequency.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Raffus,

Don't turn the gas down.

Aluminum likes a lot of gas flow. I typically run 30-35 CFH with a #7 cup on a standard collet (no gas-lens)

Those beads are awesome for a first go!

The soot appears in the places your puddle swelled and "almost" touched your tungsten. Normal. Touch the tungsten, and you'll see a BIG black splotch.

Keep practicing. You've got the basics. Only time will make you better.

Steve S