Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
LIGOOMBA
    Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:18 pm

I just seen Jodie's last video and seen he was using a clear cup.Anyone else use them ? I've seen them here and there .I don't know much about them.It seems like you get a better view of the puddle .Is that the advantage .Pardon the dumb question.Still new to tig.
Louie ("aka"Long Island Goomba)
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

It's part of a gas lens arrangement that allows more tungsten stick-out, and better visibility- to the camera as well, which I believe is part of Jody's rationale for using it. I have not used one, but I hear they're on the pricey side.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

dogfab.com

I rock one it's cool but not necessary
SmartDave
    Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:43 pm

As a person new to TIG welding I started with one on my CK20 and I found that I could see the puddle very well. I then tried a standard stubby aluma cup and surprisingly found I could see the puddle just as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
cal50
    Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:10 pm

LIGOOMBA wrote:I just seen Jodie's last video and seen he was using a clear cup.Anyone else use them ? I've seen them here and there .I don't know much about them.It seems like you get a better view of the puddle .Is that the advantage .Pardon the dumb question.Still new to tig.

Large shield gas area / envelope , useful for titanium.

(They look cool also)

:D
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

SmartDave wrote:As a person new to TIG welding I started with one on my CK20 and I found that I could see the puddle very well. I then tried a standard stubby aluma cup and surprisingly found I could see the puddle just as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Very true.... CK makes the jumbo gas saver in both glass and alumina...1-1/8" cup
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB