Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
speed g40
    Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:05 pm

hi guys:
i need some help about the torch.
I have the normal torch without the starter button so when I make the contact with the piece the tungsten stays glue in the piece and break the tip of the tungsten,I tried some diferent ways to make the contact and failed.
do you have any sugestion? ( I`m tired to every time I stop welding,have to sharpner the tungsten). lol
2-why is that some welds have that look golden and others don`t ?
thanks,
cheers
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

what kind of machine are you welding with? does it have a lift-arc feature?

what are you welding?
speed g40

I`m welding stainless steel.
my machine is not that good,only cost me 150 euros,more or less the same in us dollars.
it´s a inverter 100 amps.
for now it`s what my money can buy.lol
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Try tapping the tungsten on the material a couple of times before you hit the pedal. This corrects the polarity of the torch and can help with the start.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
speed g40

it doesn`t have a pedal.... ;)
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

if it doesn't have a lift arc start, you're going to need to scratch start like a stick welder. I've personally never done this, as I have a HF start tig machine, but it should work with some finesse and be less prone to breaking the tip of the tungsten doing the tap start.
speed g40

ok,thanks
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

In my opinion,this is the best way to scratch start with GTAW. Rest the cup on the work. Hold your tungsten about 3/32" or 1/8" off the work. Drag a piece of filler metal across the tungsten and the work, like striking a match, to close the circuit for a split second which will establish an arc. Basically, you are bridging the gap between your tungsten and your work for a very short period of time, with your filler. Doing this will keep you from messing up the tungsten.
The coloration of your finished weld should be goldish, pinkish, or straw colored. Depending on the thickness, heat, amount and type of filler. Any color other than black or gray is ok. If a weld is darker colored, your probably too hot. Or possibly not shielding well enough. Turn flow rate up, change cup size, or style. Usually its as simple as turning the amperage down or speeding up though. Hope this helps, Brian
torn7th
    Sun May 30, 2010 12:32 am

Your going to have to scratch start it . Best way ive found is get the torch close to the piece of work then quickly slide the filler rod over it. This will get your arc started then you can run it from there. Hope this helps im spoiled now with me SyncroWave with HF...But this is how i used to have to do it with just a buzz box :)