Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

If I start a weld on steel and stop about 2 inches its beautiful. When I restart or don't stop it ends up grey. I know Its too hot. Is it a balance between speed and heat, am I going to slow? I try to concentrate on good penetration ,puddle flow, and eliminating undercuts. What am I missing? example .120 to .120 tee weld 1/8 tungsten 1/8 filler #8 with gas lense 15cfh 135 amps 200dx. I am still somewhat of a noob when I was in school my instructors were more focused on penetration than anything else. I have seen some beautiful steel welds so I know I have more to learn.
gurew
    Thu May 06, 2010 2:54 pm

pro mod steve wrote:If I start a weld on steel and stop about 2 inches its beautiful. When I restart or don't stop it ends up grey. I know Its too hot. Is it a balance between speed and heat, am I going to slow? I try to concentrate on good penetration ,puddle flow, and eliminating undercuts. What am I missing? example .120 to .120 tee weld 1/8 tungsten 1/8 filler #8 with gas lense 15cfh 135 amps 200dx. I am still somewhat of a noob when I was in school my instructors were more focused on penetration than anything else. I have seen some beautiful steel welds so I know I have more to learn.

use a bigger cup, i use a 1 1/16" cup, 26-28cfh, 176-200 amps, 3/32 tungsten (ceriated), 1/16 filler, 5 beads at a time, slowly let off the arc to prevent getting a fish eye aka dimple

thats what it took to make the above weld :) is that the color you are looking to get??
Gary
  • Gary
    Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:24 pm

How much time do you have set for pre-flow and post flow. Are you keeping the torch over the end of your weld for a few seconds or until the heat dies down a bit?
And on your re-start set your pre-flow for at least a few seconds to make sure you are getting coverage.
Gary
Everlast 250EX Tig
Everlast torch cooler
Everlast 50P Plasma Cutter
Home Built 2 x 4 CNC Router table
Shoptask Bridgemill with CNC added
Central Tools 7" Bandsaw