Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
gurew
    Thu May 06, 2010 2:54 pm

:) gettin better 304 stainless sch40 to mild steel flange using 309 rod
Artisan
    Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:01 pm

looks good :P keep it up
karlevo8
    Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:28 pm

looks good ,just keep the practice up takes ages to get good and only a short time to "suck"
gurew

didnt take me ages to get good :)

bought my welder with 6 hours, it currently has 149 hours in 6 months
torn7th
    Sun May 30, 2010 12:32 am

Looks great my friend ... I love TIG stainless.....Keep it up... Your doing great :)
tigmanjake
    Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:50 am

Looks good, but you can always get better and try to keep a humble attitude.
gurew

humble is for those that know they will never be top level...
TT350
    Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:28 am

Was you using the “laying rod” technique or the paws and go?
looks good buy the way.
gurew

was a mix of the both...pulse with foot on the flange and full pedal on the collector itself
tigger
    Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:10 pm

you da man.. i have been using the pedal pulsing technique on stuff and i find it great at keeping heat down on thin sheet metal, and it gives me a more consistant weld bead. is this why you use the technique or is there something im missing?
gurew

try setting your welder to 12pps pulse if you have that ability, then use the foot to pulse your bead :) works great at keeping the heat down overall but focused where it needs to be, i use that on the flanges alot
Trackmaster welder
    Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:26 pm

Gooroo, been reading your posts and I'm guessing you must be a very young man. You seem a little too interested in telling everyone what a great welder you are. And if someone posts a pic of their project or progress you immediately post a pic of your "better looking" weld. That is a sign of imaturity, and it has nothing to do with being a " top level " weldor, ..... whatever you consider that to be. As for your comment about being humble, how does humility have anything to do with welding? ..... so only braggadocious overconfident weldors will ever be top level? Seriously?!

Listen, your welds look great and surely you have taken well to the skilled art of TIG welding, but it is too bad that you haven't taken the advice offered about being a bit more humble. Yes you have welded everday etc. etc, but six months is six months. It is not how good your beads look that make you a "top level" weldor, ...... It is EXPERIENCE. You can read about it, study it, go on forums etc, but you still have to have actually done it with your own hands. And it does take ages, YEARS, however you want to express it, to get that level of experience. Simply because there are SO many types of welds, materials, process spec's, so many situations and problem solving projects, that you just don't come across in a few months, or even years. In over 30 years of welding i have seen "hot shots" come and go. When you sit down in front of a $100,000.00 Aerospace part, you best have the Experience to be there. And ya know what, ..... you wont sit in front of that part until you have had enough YEARS under your belt, ... no matter how good you think you are. I'll bet simply because of your obvious passion for welding, you'll be better than the average bear at 5 years out. But remember there is a guy out there just as good as you thats seen 10 or 15 years of things go thru his hands.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to try and tear ya down man, but I just can't bite my tungue sometimes, and I think a little reflection will do ya well in your career as a weldor. Confidence is a good thing, but there is a point. You've got the hand skills, let them speak for them selves :)

And yes, I have sat in front of those parts, and a lot more, .... just FYI.
gurew

erm...well i share all ive learned on here posting my advice, i am good..obviously :) no over confidence here...my work literally does speak for itself....i wish someone would have posted the pics i have been posting so i could replicate their work and strive to be as good or better....alot of welding stuff is a big secret, esp making exhaust manifolds...cup size, tungsten type/size, gas flow, filler size, amps, pulse, etc....im sharing it all....and for my doing this for around 6 months if this is how well im doing...imagine the skill i will have with more experience...

so far im going through about a bottle a day of argon, i produce some fantastic products, and ill keep doing what im doing :) esp by posting pics of my work and helping others to produce solid, eye pleasing, strong, welds....
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

"humble is for those that know they will never be top level..."

so... do you think Jody isn't a top level welder? I happen to think he's a pretty humble guy. in fact, most people who are 'top level' are pretty humble people who just really like what they do and like being good at it.

now, if you mean top-level income... you're probably right. you don't need to walk any walk as long as you can talk the talk to make money.
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

We seen some of your work and it appears to be top quality by todays standards. Being humble simply means that you never consider yourself the best because you know there is always room for improvement and today's standards are just that. Obviously, in the back of your mind you are humble or you would be putting out crap, calling it the best and expecting others to believe it. Obviously you're not, so welcome to our humble group, like it or not. :mrgreen:
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
gurew

hehe im humble enough to meet my own standards :) screw everyone else's...mainly because i run the show at my own shop lol...no bosses for me!