Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
d.smith
    Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:14 am

sadly this isn't any sort of legit fabrication shop. they wont spend the money or want to waste the time doing anything extra to weld these so I'm just looking to tips and options, I don't back purge them and I barely have the space to bring them inside the weld booth.
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

I also work in a jet engine plant and I have to deal with some of the same stuff. I repair some of the furnace racks that we use to coat turbine compressor parts. We have some of the same CODEP processes that use powder. Most of our powder process uses mild steel trays and we just scrap them and replace with new ones after so many runs. I have had to weld the Inconel furnace racks a few times and I haven't been able to grind the surface enough to get to good metal when welding them. The coating penetrates the material so far that it's hard to get through it. Grinding wheels load up and won't cut the metal, so I just weld over it and hope for the best. It doesn't look pretty, but it's holding up pretty well. I've used Inconel 625 and 718 wire, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Freddie
mcostello
    Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

Would getting rid of the Aluminum help any? Could try a soak in oven cleaner.
d.smith
    Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:14 am

big gear head wrote:I also work in a jet engine plant and I have to deal with some of the same stuff. I repair some of the furnace racks that we use to coat turbine compressor parts. We have some of the same CODEP processes that use powder. Most of our powder process uses mild steel trays and we just scrap them and replace with new ones after so many runs. I have had to weld the Inconel furnace racks a few times and I haven't been able to grind the surface enough to get to good metal when welding them. The coating penetrates the material so far that it's hard to get through it. Grinding wheels load up and won't cut the metal, so I just weld over it and hope for the best. It doesn't look pretty, but it's holding up pretty well. I've used Inconel 625 and 718 wire, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

sounds like we're in the same business haha. my shop does coatings and stuff for jet engines for pratt & whitney, so we're probably dealing with all the same powders/materials.