Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
WBATDORF
    Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:46 pm

Hello All,

I am in need of some guidance from the experienced members of the forum. If questions from a new, inexperienced welder offend you, then best to move on...

I've come into posession of a Miller 350LX tig machine in excellent used condition. It seems that I cannot get shielding gas to flow i.e. I'm listening for it at the tig torch to be sure it is flowing. I know the cylinder is full (I just had it filled). There is gas in the hose up to the connection on the back of the welder cabinet. I've checked the continuity in the microswitch located in the foot pedal.

What should I check next? I would assume there is a electric solenoid inside the welder cabinet that controls gas flow, but I'm not sure. I don't want to blindly go without a clear idea of what my next step should be. I'd like very much to get this baby working over the weekend so I can begin practicing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

yup, there should be a gas solenoid inside the machine that's hooked up to the control board. it will likely be towards the back near the gas inlet, but I don't know your machine, so I couldn't really tell you for sure. first thing I'd do is disconnect the torch side of that solenoid and see if you're getting gas through it when you step on the switch. if you are, then you've probably got a pinch or kink in your torch lead. or there's some crap in the connector, or something like that. divide an conquer, as they say.
OhHeck04
    Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:37 pm

I wouldn't hesitate to contact Miller Tech Support directly. http://www.millerwelds.com/service/contactus.html. If Miller is anything like Lincoln support, you'll be amazed at their willingness to assist. These people are the experts and have a database full of past problems and the fix.
mister bobo
    Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:23 pm

don't forget to open the valve on the torch itself (if you have one), the WP17 has a button looking valve you turn that is mostly for the lift arc with no foot pedal.
hope it helps-
take care-
mister bobo