Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Ken
  • Ken
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Anybody besides me do any welding on those cheap aluminum soccer goals that the school systems buy? (Not the fancy new type the old square tube ones that take 3 counter sunk SS bolts on each side to hole em together) Those things are so poor quality that the ALU is like it was sand cast them sanded smooth,. usually when I have to tig em I end up with a blowout from either steel embedded or plain flat out dirt in the aluminum. Well today I ran across one that was actually produced correctly :) It was broke at both corners, I started the first weld and it went so smooth I had to look at th Miller 350 and see what I had it set at just for future ref, second weld was just as clean, usually these things are so bad I end up with the old adage "a grinder is a welders best friend" Today was different, looks like a row of dimes all the way around, up, down, and on the sides :) Been a while since I had a weld come out that good on one of these things.
weldmaster36602
    Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:29 pm

it seems to me that you just got a clean peice of aluminum this time u could avoid future problems just by cleaning the weld surface of all paint trash and old weld before you start and you will have that outcome everytime
Ken
  • Ken
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:24 pm

I hope so I have two more work orders for soccer goals that I got three days ago one is nice and the other is a practice goal that looks like it needs half the face rail replaced due to corrosion.