Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

Anyone on here got some good resources or information regarding Sheet Metal welding?

Specifically 18 guage stainless MIG or TIG for industrial ductwork.

Material- 20guage Stainless Duct/Piping.

I am a noob at pulse settings for Tig Or Mig. But to break it down, I will be Tig welding lap joints on 20 guage. Some maybe 18 guage. I will be using a miller machine that may have pulse welding function.

So to the real question. How would I setup pulse if I needed to?
Last edited by hacadacalopolis on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hacadacalopolis wrote:Anyone on here got some good resources or information regarding Sheet Metal welding?

Specifically 18 guage stainless MIG or TIG for industrial ductwork.
Perhaps if you could be more specific about the info you're looking for...sounds like maybe you want to know the settings for 18 ga stainless with the TIG or MIG process

May also be helpful to know what machines you have to do this work
Richard
Website
kingruar
    Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:18 pm

I make ductwork for my job,

The best thing to do is to tack every inch / 25 mm or so. This will help with a good fit up and ensure that the heat does not distort the duct too much. Use the spot function on your tig / mig if you have it.
I also weld about 75mm / 3inch beads at a time then move across to another section. This allows for the piece to cool enough and minimise distortion.
Get yourself comfortable and take your time. With stainless if things start to wonder off in the wrong direction, get out quickly and reasses what is going on otherwise you will be burning holes in your work.

I weld 0.9mm and 1.2mm stainless ducts, and thats the best simple advise i can give you.
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

Ya I had 20gauge to 20 gauge 316l laps. It was retarded

It was on the main runner for exhaust. Also instead of saddling up the pipe for a 90 tee, I had to work with a 2'x2' 20g sheet. I had to beat the hell out of it after I got some tacks in just to get a tight fit. It was awful to work with. 1/4" gap here and there.

A lot more metal to try and fuse together while not being able to work with right consumable.
I was given 3/32 pure tungsten and 3/32 filler. Not the best of gas coverage with the 30" runner in use.
All in all I made it work with no leaks. It looks awful but I couldn't do anything about that.