Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:34 am

Quick question: What would be a good stainless steel filler rod for regular steel exhaust pipe? Or should I stick with er70s2? Thanks!
Everlast 250EX
Everlast I-Mig275 w/ Alum Spool Gun
Everlast Plasma60
Everlast 300 Water Cooler
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Blaze659 wrote:Quick question: What would be a good stainless steel filler rod for regular steel exhaust pipe? Or should I stick with er70s2? Thanks!

309 is more forgiving in my opinion.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

ER70-S2
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Well.. That got a nice consistent answer! :lol:

Both will work. The choice will probably depend more on the expected lifespan of the system.

If it's a good system made from aluminized steel that needs to last for years to come then perhaps do it with 309 to get decent corrosion resistance in the welds. (often the welds are the weak spot in these systems and they rust out soonest)

If it's a system that's already plain mild steel or one that just needs 'a fix' then er70s2 is fine.

BTW.. Some systems can be 409 stainless although it can be tricky to spot as it does tend to get a surface rust coating and it is magnetic, so often mistaken for mild steel. 309 works fine for those of course.

Bye, Arno.
    Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:34 am

Thanks fellas! :D Would the 309 require purging to stay strong or would it be fine without for standard exhaust pipe?
Everlast 250EX
Everlast I-Mig275 w/ Alum Spool Gun
Everlast Plasma60
Everlast 300 Water Cooler

Blaze659 wrote:Thanks fellas! :D Would the 309 require purging to stay strong or would it be fine without for standard exhaust pipe?
The ideal way would be to purge if you can, make sure the joint is free of all contaminates (ID and OD), clean back a good 3/8" from the joint.
Richard
Website
mcostello
    Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

Could a purge be made with exhaust gas? The other end might not be open or accessible , exhaust wold keep out most of the oxygen. Just askin......... ;)

mcostello wrote:Could a purge be made with exhaust gas? The other end might not be open or accessible , exhaust wold keep out most of the oxygen. Just askin......... ;)
No the gas(in this case argon) needs to be inert, meaning it won't react with the molten metal
Richard
Website