Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
torn7th
    Sun May 30, 2010 12:32 am

Hey guys ive been playing with our older Miller machine (im not a TIG expert by any means) but ive been trying different settings on it to weld stainless steel. It has HF which i love. Its weird though cause playing with it running about 65-75amps HF 10 - 12 Cfh on the argon all my weldd on practice pieces are grey? Ive tried all kinds of diff settings yet theyre still grey. Im wondering if its a gas issue or maybe my filler rods arent clean. When i do socket welds it looks pretty good but on butt welds or flat welds it looks pretty bad not horrible but not quality either. If any of yall have experience with this machine any advise would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance... :?:
RIS
  • RIS
    Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:53 pm

Have you messured the gas flow at the torch? I recently experiensed a small gas leak in my tig torch, and had the same issues you are having.

Other than that, I would say that you are either welding to hot (slow)

Have you tried just melting a joint with no filler rod? Just to see how it turns out?

Best of luck.
Davidep82
    Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:07 pm

I agree with RIS, watch the heat. No more than what you need. And, don't go slow; get a puddle and go. How thick is the base material? I would assume from your amps, about 0.80" to 0.100".

Also, are you back purging or using Solar Flux on the inside/backside?

Don't lift away from your work when you are done. Let the post flow protect the joint so it is not to hot when oxygen hits it.

Good luck.
torn7th

Ok gents wasnt a gas issue and i increased my speed alot. Im welding 2 inch socket joints with Scd 10S stainless pipe.. :?:
Trackmaster welder
    Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:26 pm

So all is well? Couldn't tell from your post. (Btw 10-12 cfm argon is a lil bit low, try 15+). What color was, or is, your tungsten ending up after a weld? If it's grayish then you likely have a argon flow issue, not enough, or possibly a bad fill in the tank, or not enough post flow? If the tungsten looks shiny and good like when you put it in, then yes, you may be simply over heating the weld zone thus turning it grayish.
torn7th

Thanks guys for the replys it was a gas issue with the collet . I replaced that and now nice and shiny welds with no graying... Thanks again gents