Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Karbon
    Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Hello all ! new to the forum and tig welding. I recently purchased a cheap DC inverter arc welder and it has the capabilities for scratch start tig. Is there a way to convert this to a lift start or make a lift start to add on to it. I f this has already been answered on this site can you point me to the link. Thank you and have a great day
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Sorry, I dont have an answer but I do have a question in the same line- Is it still possible(or was it ever) to buy a seperate High Frequency unit and hook it up to, say a stick inverter machine?
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
OrbitalX
    Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:16 pm

Karbon wrote:Hello all ! new to the forum and tig welding. I recently purchased a cheap DC inverter arc welder and it has the capabilities for scratch start tig. Is there a way to convert this to a lift start or make a lift start to add on to it. I f this has already been answered on this site can you point me to the link. Thank you and have a great day
Ive never seen or heard of an accessory lift arc that was added to a welder. If the welder has this option , its built in from factory . As kermdawg said you could buy an accessory RF unit. A cheaper alternative is to learn the "flick start the arc" technique . This takes some practice but is effective. Use your filler wire to quickly swipe under the tungsten when you're ready to initiate arc. It will seem aggrevating & difficult @first but you'll aquire just the right finness. Even if you are just fusing , use this technique, just dont add wire.