Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

This is a hobby for me but I have a couple of big projects in the loop and I've got to get a handle on TIG. I recently ran into a problem that drove me nuts. Because I'm new to this it was only by accident that I found that I was using an inferior tungsten and had a leaky flow gauge.

So if I'm looking for Tungstens, who can I trust? The same goes for gauges, torches, etc.

I know that you can't buy skillsets but I've always felt that reducing the frustration levels make learning eaiser and that's my goal

Can anyone help this newbie out.

I did buy a 3 pack of TIG fingers and a T shirt.. The TIG fingers are great, I can now wear the Tillman TIG gloves without cooking my fingers. If there is anything wrong with them it's that you have to remember that just because you hand's not cooked you can't grab the hot metal with those thin gloves. The T shirt... well, it's just plain cool.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Weldcraft torches and tungsten. Harris or Victor flowmeters
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
sschefer

Thanks Jim, I have two torches, the 17 that came with the Lincoln Precision TIG 225 and a Weldtec (not WeldCraft). The Weldtec is a water cooled 20 and I have their water cooler too. That seems to be working out fine. The gauges and tungstens that are suspicous are Radnor. I did pickup some different tungstens and put the original gauge set back on the tank. I ran out of Tungstens and stopped at Matheson because it was closer. That was accidental problem solving #1. Then I noticed when I shut my gas off at the main valve, the gas drained down pretty quick. At first I suspected a bad gas valve in the welder but when I put the original gauge back on the pressure stayed until the next time I used the welder (about 12 hours).. That was accidental problem solving #2.

I am using WeldCraft consumables now and I noticed immediately that the collets fit tighter on the tungstens. I'm going to order a couple of new flow meters (for my MIG and TIG) today.

Do you have a good internet source for Weldcraft and Harris or Victor. Most everything I find on the internet is unbranded and comming out of China.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

When it comes to tig torches and parts and tungsten, I would stay away from Radnor. Stick with Weldcraft or CK Worldwide. Harris, Victor, and Smith are the top three in flowmeters and guages. This is one site that I like. Check it out. http://www.arc-zone.com/
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
sschefer

jpence38 wrote:When it comes to tig torches and parts and tungsten, I would stay away from Radnor. Stick with Weldcraft or CK Worldwide. Harris, Victor, and Smith are the top three in flowmeters and guages. This is one site that I like. Check it out. http://www.arc-zone.com/

Thanks Jim, I've been to the site a couple of times just checking things out.. I ordered the Harris Dual Flowmeter/gauges today so I can run my spool gun and the TIG off the same tank without messing around with the flows all the time. I also ordered some of there off brand 2% lanthanated. Weldcraft only makes a 1.5%. I thought I'd go with Jody's recommendation and see how it goes.

I did find a couple of more problems that I corrected. The first was my ground clamp. I went with Jody's recommendation and got a good bronze clamp. Not the junky one with the tin inserts this one is solid bronze. I got it at AirGas because they're on the way home from work.

The other thing I did was to grind a whole bunch of different angles on the Radnor 2% thor. I found that if I cut it at about 30 degrees with a small flat spot they did the best. I was then able to run really nice bead. Possibly the best I've ever run but that's no blue ribbon winner by any means. I have no doubt that along with all this figuring stuff out that I'm getting a lot of seat time so that's a factor too.

Funny thing, I hooked up a new miller 3035 spool gun to my MIG tonight and ran a couple of beads with it. I got a fairly decent looking stack with it and I have not doubt that my new TIG experiences influenced it a lot. I've tried it before and never got these results so there's definitely a benifit from learning TIG besides welds you can show off.

Thanks again for the advice and link. I wouldn't have bought from them without a recommendation.

Steve

Oh yeah... Go Giants!