Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jime46
    Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:56 am

I am need of a plasma cutter to finish out my welding/cutting equipment. I currently have a Miller Diversion 165 TIG, Millermatic 211 MIG, and an old Miller buzz box stick machine that I don't use since I got the 211. The equipment is used for hot rod fabrication, so not a lot of heavy work. I watched the video's on the PowerPro 256 and it looks like a neat box with a lot of capability. My option would be to sell the 165 and buy a PowerPro, or keep the 165 and buy something like the Everlast 50 plasma. Going to dump the buzz box in any case. Cost would probably come out about the same depending on what I could get for the 165(It's only a year old). The main question I have is whether the multiple functions on the PowerPro are of enough value to justify making the change. I'm not a professional welder, and the 165 is real easy to use. Just pick AC or DC and dial the thickness. The PowerPro appears to have a lot of flexibility in tuning for specific applications, but how valuable is that flexibility, and is it something an amateur can even really utilize?
Rugar
    Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:40 pm

In the year that you have had your Diversion 165, have you had to max it out to weld anything, or ever wished you had more power? Are you happy with the results of your welds?
The problem with the multi-process machines is having to swap torches, and argon and air back and forth every time you want to change what process you want to use. If something malfunctions on the machine (the TIG stops working, but the plasma works fine), you just lost your TIG and your Plasma cutter while the machine is in for repairs. Thats my reasoning for not getting a multiprocess machine. (Plus I already have a plasma cutter)
I just got a Everlast 250EX (same as the 256 without the plasma cutter) a few weeks ago and I love it. I had never TIG welded before. And as Jody says, theres a whole lot of frickin knobs on that thing :lol:. After watching LOTS of videos, and reading LOTS of posts on websites along with running beads and making adjustments, I'm starting to see what each adjustment does for my welds. I'm starting to be able to adjustment the machine to my liking, instead of having to adjust my self to the machine.
If it was me and I was truly happy with the Diversion, I would probably just buy the plasma cutter. But the 256 and the 250EX are bad ass, and if you ever tried one you would probably give yours up in a heartbeat.
Millermatic 251
Spectrum 300 Plasma
Everlast PowerTig 250EX
Everlast PowerCool W300
Harris/Victor OA
Craftsman 13 Speed Drill Press
ProTools Air/Hydraulic Bender
48" Brake
Compressor, Notchers, Grinders, etc.
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

I'm of the same opinion as Rugar. Sounds like your looking at the inverter world and I also think that's a good move. I have a PowerPlasma 60 and I just ordered a 250EX. I fill out my gear with my old Victor gas rig and a Miller 212 with a 3035 spool gun. I sold my Lincoln Precision TIG 225 after watching the electric bill when welding 1/4 and 3/8 aluminum.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..