Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ken7057
    Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:22 pm

Hey Jody, Thx for the awesome site. I am taking an automotive collision course and your Mig welding techniques helped me learn fast, I can now Mig with the best in my school :D The problem is now I am trying to learn to weld Tig, and the only material the school is set up for is Aluminum >.< No one in the school knows too much about Tig so I am pretty much stuck on my own..

The school has a Lincoln Electric Invertec V205-T Welder, and I have it set up on AC, with about 15 cfh of argon, 100 on the Frequency, and the Balance at 85. I am welding 1/8" coupons, with a 3/32 tungsten, and trying to use a filler rod close to the size of the tungsten. As per your videos, I keep the stick out within the diameter of the cup, and a tungsten diameter away from the metal. I also use a stainless brush on the metal before welding, and have the tungsten grinded to a point.

The problem is that my welds are very flat, usually leaving over an 1/8" depression into the metal, with a large bubble on the back. My hand speed is pretty fast (1" every 5 sec), and I keep the puddle the same size. I have the machine only set up at around 70 amps, even tho Miller recommends 125 for 1/8" Aluminum. If I set it any lower, I have problems starting a Puddle, and any higher and the Melting gets alot worse. Adding Filler Rod doesn't seem to change the height of the weld too much either.

I watch your videos on Tig Welding Aluminum and you make it look pretty effortless, even thought I know how hard it is now >.< ...In your videos you are able to stack a bead right on top of the Aluminum without any type of distortion or sinking of the metal around the weld, and you are able to continue to weld beads right next to each other, without too much time to let the metal cool.. Do you have any advice you could give me on this problem? Thanks in advance to any help you can give me, and also thanks for amazing website. ;)
gurew
    Thu May 06, 2010 2:54 pm

it is effortless! literally just add more filler...you should be feeding quite a bit of filler if you want the bead raised...try adding double the filler you are dipping now and see how that works out...you dont have to haul ass when welding aluminum....
Rugar
    Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:40 pm

Are you using a foot pedal? If you are getting a bubble on the back side you are running to hot for your travel speed. If using a pedal back off after getting the puddle going. If your not, you need to add more filler and travel faster.
Millermatic 251
Spectrum 300 Plasma
Everlast PowerTig 250EX
Everlast PowerCool W300
Harris/Victor OA
Craftsman 13 Speed Drill Press
ProTools Air/Hydraulic Bender
48" Brake
Compressor, Notchers, Grinders, etc.
ken7057
    Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:22 pm

Ugh...... I figured it out. The school was giving me rods that were stainless steel.. now I really feel like a noob >.<
dustelf
    Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 am

i really want to see those "beads"