Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Okay, I've proved for myself what most of you no doubt already know.

As a loyal disciple of Jody (and wanting a simple life) I bought myself some 2% lanthanated electrodes some weeks ago...and everything went to crap.

I'd been using zirconiated electrodes for welding aluminium - by comparison, my new lanth electrodes spat, sputtered and misbehaved. I'd been using thoriated for carbon steel, and by comparison my lanth electrodes gave an unstable arc and poor starts.

Did I mention these were cheap, 'no-name' 2% lanthanated electrodes? Oops.

So I bought some 'brand name' 2% lanth and did a shoot-out today of the old and the new. The more expensive electrodes behave flawlessly. The old no-names are now in the bin.

Buy cheap, buy twice. Lesson learned.

Kym
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

The cheap ones would do good as scribes though ;)

Yup.

Have only just discovered through research that there are some electrodes out there made cheaply by some kind of recycling of metals. Ouch. Wouldn't be surprised if my first batch were exactly this - they are utter rubbish.

Good tips for blowgun darts, maybe?

Kym
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Kym,
Where did you get the "cheap" ones?
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Yep. Sometimes, "inexpensive" means a good value. Usually, it means "cheap."

Steve S
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

I didn't know there was such a thing as cheap electrodes (I guess in that respect, there may also be cheap filler rod too?)... Maybe those electrodes are Chinese made, their steel industry is notorious for poor quality (to name just one of their industries), I would suspect if they manufactured tungsten electrodes they too would be piss poor
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference

It is bad enough so that if I switch from a normal (quality) electrode to a 'bad' one without making any other changes, it seems like something is very wrong with my welding machine.

Cheap electrode fail.

Kym
Blue Diver
    Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:28 pm

A couple of weeks ago I had a 1/16" 2% thoriated tungsten split in half while grinding a point on it. It did it on a few different occasions with different sticks. It was a "name brand" electrode. Anybody ever see that before?
'Can't' is an evil word that is not in my vocabulary!
jauguston
    Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:28 pm

On the subject of bad tungstens does anyone know of any bad brands here in the US. I am new at this and and it would sure help to know if I am working with a junk tungsten and it could be part of my learning issues. I have some 2%Lathinated coming from Amazon and I don't know what the brand is. We have 5 welding supply stores in this area and none carry Lathinated tungstens.

Jim
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I don't know of any bad brands, particularly, but I've had good experiences with this vendor. I bought 2% lanth electrodes in a variety of sizes (in addition to other consumables) and had no problems.
http://www.weldingcity.com/

Another guy on another forum, whom I trust by reading his posts over a long period of time, has recommended them too.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
jauguston
    Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:28 pm

I just received my order of 2% Lanthanated W L20 tungstens (3/32") From Tool Deals in North Las Vegas purchased through Amazon. The brand is ABN - Auto body now. Clearly marked manufactured in China. Do any of you know if they are on the (Not So Good list). I will be trying them in a day or two.

Jim

This may be a slightly naive take on things as I'm aware that plenty of re-packaging and re-branding goes on, but might I suggest that the electrodes to really watch out for are the 'no name' ones.

Certainly the ones that failed for me were plain wrapped and unbranded.

At least if the electrodes carry a brand I guess there's some chance that you have a come back or line of enquiry if they fail. I just now avoid the seller I purchased the bad electrodes from because I feel they should test to ensure they are selling a solid product.

Kym
Last edited by MosquitoMoto on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Jim,
Dont over think it.
Everyone gets stuff made in china.
The chinese can make good quality, it they are paid to do it.
Short story, try the electrodes and see what happens.
Keep calm and keep welding :D
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

The friend who got me started with TIG swears by the stuff supplied by Diamond Ground Products but I haven't done enough to be able to tell the difference between them and the semi-generic Radnor branded stuff from the LWS.

I've tried to stay away from the extremely questionable end of the spectrum, with no brand at all, just in the interest of reducing variables as I learn!
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

hey_allen wrote:The friend who got me started with TIG swears by the stuff supplied by Diamond Ground Products but I haven't done enough to be able to tell the difference between them and the semi-generic Radnor branded stuff from the LWS.

I've tried to stay away from the extremely questionable end of the spectrum, with no brand at all, just in the interest of reducing variables as I learn!
From the above link; https://www.diamondground.com/wolfram-t ... -tungsten/

Here is a reply I got from CKWorldwide in response to an enquiry and explains a lot ;

" I agree with you regarding the tungstens coming out of China. Most of the ones on the market today are not very good quality. I have personally been to the factory that supplies our tungstens just to make sure they are following our quality requirements. Most companies don't do that. They just buy from the lowest price person of the day hawking tungsten electrodes. "
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

I got the some Omega 3/32 thoriated ages ago from Gasweld, chain store in Sydney for a scratch start tig I was playing around with ages ago and had no problems. Just picked up some lanthanated from Hampdon, welding supplies on ebay from Perth. They advertised that they were good quality, not made from recycled. They turned up and worked fine, as it turns out they are also Omega. But they were $37 as opposed to a lot on there around $20. Good to know there is a difference.

$3.70 for the amount of tig time you get out of an electrode is still pretty cheap

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-4mm-2-Lant ... 19de9b4bb2

Its amazing the difference consumables can make. I remember when I first tried Lincoln 7018's after always using Satincraft 6013.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Diamond Ground Tungsten PDF https://www.diamondground.com/tungsten-guidebook/
Don't just read it study apply,tungsten verses material to be welded,and amperage needed can make a difference when starting out.
Help stamp out operator induced errors(includes gas leaks and flow rate tank to torch).
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)