Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

I remember the review someone gave of Chinese "bulk" TIG parts kits, but was wondering if anyone had experience with the Chinese TIG torch heads.

I got to looking and they are like ten bucks for a WP9V torch head on ebay, where actual weldcraft heads are $60+.

Yeah, I'd like weldcraft, but u don't have the cash flow for that yet and I'd like to try a smaller torch, just to see.

My current torch is a Parker brand WP17FV. I like it, but I want to try out those tiny torches. We have the WP26's at work, and those things are HUGE and bulky and heavy and water-cooled, so there are like four hoses!

I'll probably order one just to see, so I will post my review after that. Just wondering if anyone had any input before I order.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Hey Nathan. My only input would be is that you get what you pay for, and that goes for just about everything in life. I have found out the hard way that patience is never around when you need it. If it was me, knowing what I know, I would save my money for a good torch or look for a good used one on Craigslist before extending the trade defecit. Just my opinion. If you do order one, let us know how it works....I have been known to be wrong before :D
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

I have tried torch heads from River weld.
They are alright as long as you stay within stated current limits.

Avoid the cheap collets, dont last long.
Gas lenses are good.
Ceramics, no complaints.

All based on my own experience. A full time production welder might think different

Never heard of Parker torches, do you have a link?
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

I have purchased torches and consumables from weldingcity.com. I have been very pleased with their products. I am only a hobbiest welder so I cannot speak to their suitability in a commercial environment. I will say that I know that the local community college welding shop has or had a purchase order with weldingcity for consumables.

As to the capability of a $10 torch... I welded a 1 1/2" diameter shaft to a 3/4" by 4" bad - a repair on my step-son's Farmall Super A tractor - using a WP17 flex head clone torch from weldingcity. The torch worked fine. I was limited by the capability of my Diversion 165 power source. I recently used the same torch on my Dynasty 200 DX to make a repair on a neighbor's hay bailer drive train. I was making a number of short beads at 170 amps. The limitation was not over heating the part (which had a chain sprocket on one end) not the torch.

On the other end of the scale I have a $9 WP 9 flex torch - also from weldingcity. I recently made a couple of gunsmithing repairs - tiny stuff - with that torch, a gas lens and .040" tunsten. All from weldingcity. Worked great.

I also have a genuine Weldcraft WP17 and a CK FlexLock but I generally just grab one of the weldingcity flex head torches.

Ken

p.s. I have no commercial interest in weldingcity. I am just a satisfied customer.
nathan

AndersK wrote:I have tried torch heads from River weld.
They are alright as long as you stay within stated current limits.

Avoid the cheap collets, dont last long.
Gas lenses are good.
Ceramics, no complaints.

All based on my own experience. A full time production welder might think different

Never heard of Parker torches, do you have a link?
http://www.parkertorchology.com they are based in the Netherlands.

Mine isn't a fancy euro-style. Just a normal air-cooled, valved torch. They don't have my style online, just thos other fancy ones.

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Thanks Nathan
They look identical to the older Parweld torch I use. Same as the older Esab torches too.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

While I now avoid cheap electrodes, I have a gas lens, some cups and a torch head from China and all work fine.

Actually surprised by how good the finish on the gas lens is. At my level of experience, I don't mind risking $5 here and there so I can experiment with various set ups.

Kym
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I used to work at a refrigerator mfg plant that made fridges for no less than 7 different name brands. All went down the same line made by the same people. Only difference was the quality standards of what the customer/ name brand would allow to go in a box.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
nathan

Poland308 wrote:I used to work at a refrigerator mfg plant that made fridges for no less than 7 different name brands. All went down the same line made by the same people. Only difference was the quality standards of what the customer/ name brand would allow to go in a box.
See, I operate based on the assumption that if people have a job, they want to do a decent job. So this post makes me pretty optimistic. I know that's a dangerous assumption, but I am still not jaded enough to give it up lol

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

I read a review somewhere on the low price Chinese gas lenses. The review showed that the CK gas lenses had something like 4 or 8 mesh screens, while the Chinese ones had only two screens . Think maybe it was an Amazon review .
On something like a torch head though, I think you could better see what's there ...unlike a gas lens . My experience with very low price china items off ebay/amazon is that some things were pretty darn good ...and others were VERY low quality ...but the price was so low that I just took the risk . On the few items I wasn't happy with, it was so cheap that it didn't matter to me. Is $10 gona break your bank or damage anything ? If not, try it . Also, I usually look at the 1 and 2 star reviews and see if they provide a reasonable explanation of why the bad review ... I do this even on items with a high average rating, reason being is that a lot of people will briefly use an item then leave 4-5 star reviews . While 1 and 2 star reviews don't necessarily rule out buying an item, they can often give you insight on some things about that item. Good luck with it !