Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Just picked one of these up. This is the best price I was able to find and the shipping is fast. Thought I'd pass it on. I can get close with the y adapter and dual flow meters but it waste's a lot of gas getting it dialed in and is difficult to repeat if you change mixes. That's mostly due to the differences in the scales on the flow meters.

Here's the link to the Argon/Helium unit. They also have a Argon/CO2 unit.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/46522 ... _Gas_Mixer
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
dustelf
    Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 am

so you couldn't find argon/helium mixed in a bottle and decided to spend 12 hondred on a shiny box?
sschefer

Sort of like that. I could get 80/20 and 50/50 but I had to rent the tanks and it wasn't stocked at my local AirGas. It didn't take me long to figure out that being able to dial in the right mix for repeatability was important too. I futzed with flow meters at first then went back to gauges but at best it was just a good guess even after doing the math. I also ran a lot of gas into the air getting it setup each time.

With this shinny box I can just dial it in, weld, adjust, and log the setting in my book of tricks. When I need to do it again I just look up the settings, set the dial and weld.

Some will argue that it's not worth the cost, I think it will pay for itself pretty fast. I'm using Helium to be able to stretch the capabilities of my welder, cut back on the heat transfer, save time and save electricity.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
dustelf
    Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 am

does the wife know about your new investment? :lol:
mine would have a brakedown ...
sschefer

dustelf wrote:does the wife know about your new investment? :lol:
mine would have a brakedown ...
LOL, she quit complaining about my shop tools when I quit drinking 6 years ago. Matter of fact, she quit complaining about most things.