Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Joe
  • Joe
    Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:52 pm

Check out Everlast Welders for a USA source.
racingparts
    Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:43 am

i can't make those welds :oops:
i cant make a nice weld around the small pipe like in the photo
it's more difficult than i thought
tomorrow i'll give it another try
dustelf
    Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 am

racingparts wrote:i can't make those welds :oops:
i cant make a nice weld around the small pipe like in the photo
it's more difficult than i thought
tomorrow i'll give it another try
wow, so welding is not that easy afterall, i bet a monkey can do it tho...
racingparts

welding the T, L forms are ok now, i have no problem doing those
but the pipe i cant
i'm welding it , but it doesn't look so nice as in the photo
dustelf

de weld in the foto is defective anyway.
racingparts

dustelf wrote:de weld in the foto is defective anyway.
for what's is needed it's more than perfect
any good advice about how to do it?
dustelf

no, it's far from perfect, you just don't know that.

and for advise , go to UTS Timisoara and learn to weld before you kill someone.
mrprism
    Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:03 pm

dustelf wrote:no, it's far from perfect, you just don't know that.
Could you please enlighten us as to why these welds are "far from perfect" and possibly could kill someone? I'm trying to see what you're talking about but the only thing I'm seeing is the small crater left after the arc start in the bead. I thought the welds look really good :?: then again I'm not a welding inspector either.

Alan
dustelf

mrprism wrote:
dustelf wrote:no, it's far from perfect, you just don't know that.
Could you please enlighten us as to why these welds are "far from perfect" and possibly could kill someone? I'm trying to see what you're talking about but the only thing I'm seeing is the small crater left after the arc start in the bead. I thought the welds look really good :?: then again I'm not a welding inspector either.

Alan
First that crater is at the end of the weld not at the start, it is called an end crater also.
You should know a weld can look "really" good and still not be good at the same time, don't have to be an welding inspector, and btw there are 2 end craters in that pic, one is better , but i had microfissures in craters looking better then that.
That part is going to be on a motorcycle, would you ride a bike whith parts welded by someone who learns Tig welding on youtube?

And then those are not his welds, he is trying to copy what you see in that foto.
Remi
    Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:09 am

jakeru wrote:When you have your two puddles formed of similar size on each side of the welding gap, with split second timing and filler rod feeding hand accuracy, dab the end of your filler rod right between the two puddles. When its all going well, surface tension pulls the film of the two puddles tight into a single puddle, making them into one fused molten puddle. Then, move your torch a bit alog the weld bead, wait for the puddle to melt into a "C" shape, and when you see that "C" shape dab your filler into the middle to make surface tension pull the puddle tight into one round puddle again. Repeat, over and over again.
This the best "How to start a fillet weld" description I've ever read. Hats off !

Remi
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Hey guy's Dustelf is right, those weld craters will form cracks and if you look a bit closer, the welds are also contaminated and porous.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

A good weld could be ugly.. but more importantly a good looking weld could also be dangerous
BLAZO
    Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:11 am

Hi bro. I would preheet 3 mm plate and then weld them together. It will lower the gap of melting point.
Sorry for my bad English.
racingparts

i'm starting to think that preheat is the only way to go
i'll give it a try, and lower the amps in order not to blow the pipe that melts instantly otherwise