Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

AlexisMachine wrote:Almost finished my cooler today:
Your work shows amazing attention to detail. Especially since this is for your own use, and only you will ever have seen many of the details.

I also see a cluttered workbench in the background of a shot or two, so I'm reassured that you're sane.

Nice!

Steve S
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Alexis -

We have some very creative people posting here and I love it because it inspires me...as a newbie it makes me want to dig deep, improve my skills and produce work to such high standards. Something to aim for!

And out of several very impressive TIG cooler builds, yours is certainly right up there with the neatest and sweetest. Well done.

Kym
AlexisMachine
    Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:47 am

Thanks to all for the great response!
rahtreelimbs wrote:Any concerns running an aluminum tank?
I'm actually running a coolant which is especially designed for the use with aluminum. I had bad experience in the past with the wrong coolant!

Thanks again to all!

I'll post some pics when the cooler is finally finished.

Alexis
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I applaud you guys that build your own TIG coolers. It's a lot of work, even though that's what welding is about, lol. Things like that I would just rather buy. I just picked up a demo/slightly used HTP Arctic Chill dual-voltage cooler for $390. :D
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Well done Alexis.

Must find some time to finnish my rebuild now.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I scraped my SS tank attempt today. Will have to wait for a new salvage supply. I ran too hot and it ain't pretty
I have more questions than answers

Josh
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Here is the pump that I'm setting up for my cooler, along with the bypass valve to dump excess pressure/flow back to the tank.
It's a Procon that I got from a beverage equipment rebuilding company for about $60, strapped to a motor from eBay that ran $35.

I bought a retired soda syrup tank to use for my reservoir.
~3 gallons and has nice fitting on the top with a dip tube to the bottom of the tank, and I was easily able to add a return fitting in the lid to dump excess flow and torch return flow with no restriction back into the tank.

Most of the fittings were junk bin parts from disassembled equipment.

Now I just have to finish plumbing it and get it wired for power, instead of just sitting there near my welder taking up floor space!
Attachments
IMG_20151026_200951.jpg
IMG_20151026_200951.jpg (50.74 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
IMG_20151026_201022.jpg
IMG_20151026_201022.jpg (76.64 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
Poland308

That style of procon pump has a pressure adjustment under the nut by the intake you can back out the screw for less pressure. There is a minamum pressure for some water cooled torches but you might save your self some energy by backing it down a bit. My used one came set at 115 psi.

Josh
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Poland308 wrote:That style of procon pump has a pressure adjustment under the nut by the intake you can back out the screw for less pressure. There is a minamum pressure for some water cooled torches but you might save your self some energy by backing it down a bit. My used one came set at 115 psi.
I had this one spec'd at 60 psi, since the pump that I initially had purchased turned out to be a good bit overkill (1/2" NPT fittings, 120gph at 150 psi...), I traded it in on a rebuilt from a repair and service center. I explained what I was doing when I ordered it, and they even offered the lower pressure set point for the application.

The main reason I have the bypass valve there is to keep from internally bypassing continuously and potentially boiling the water in the pump, when pushing against the restriction of the very small hoses in the CK20 torch that I have. It's also a convenient place to hook up the radiator, so any coolant going back and forth to the tank will have a chance to dump any excess heat on the way.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
Poland308

I agree glad the place you got the pump from set it for you. Otherwise there usually cranked up to the max.

Josh
LIGOOMBA
    Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:18 pm

I used a pro con pump(eBay) carbonator motor.My heat sink was an aluminum heater core from a pick up.The resivoir was a S/S buffet pan .Panels are aluminum.Most of the stuff is just garbage or stuff I accumulated and got from friends shops.Lines and fittings are from hardware store.I use a computer muffin fan to cool the heater core.It works fine.The pricy parts were the fittings and the torch set up.Its got to be 6 years old.

[Image
Louie ("aka"Long Island Goomba)
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Nice work Ligoomba!

Kym
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Yes that looks good LIGOOMBA. Neat and functional and best of all.. reliable! Good job!
serena45
    Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:19 am

Hello...

I the principal shop, I had I took advantage of the icy water line in the sink to a ball valve..., I set on the back of the welder tied it into the light and ran the arrival line back to the deplete in the sink...
Utilized 200 mph tape to secure it to the sink. Simply need to make sure to turn the water on before beginning to weld...