Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
dusty day
    Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:12 am

Hello everyone i'm the newby. I'm interested in tig welding and i was wondering which welder brand to buy? I'm not going to make a career out of welding so i was thinking of the "lotos" 3 in one welders on ebay it's a 200a tig 200a stick and a 50a plasma. I have made a 4X4 plasma table for personal use it's nothing fancy but it works. Can someone with the knowledge about welders mind shooting over to ebay and looking at this welder cutter combo and giving everyone that is looking at the same thing i am an honest review rehttp://cgi.ebay.com/LOTOS-PILOT-Plasma-Cutter-Tig-stick-Welder-LTPDC2000-/180562463095?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item2a0a5c8977.
I don't plan at this time to be welding or cutting anything thicker than gauge sheet to 7/16 thick. The price on the lotos is within my limits. I could possibly go 1k but no more.
Dusty
DSC00783.JPG
DSC00783.JPG (156.38 KiB) Viewed 653 times
jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

On that machine, no AC TIG function = no aluminum welding.

I'd spend a little more and get AC TIG functionality, unless you really have no interest in ever welding aluminum for some reason.

Also, consider keeping plasma and TIG functions in separate machines, if you really even need both in the first place. It really simplifies the plumbing of the "gas in" to the back of the machine to have the machine be dedicated to just one or the other. In the case of plasma, the air inlet needs a water separator (possibly a dessicant type filter also for best cutting performance.) For TIG, ideally the inert gas inlet setup on the back of the machine would ideally have very small internal volume (to minimize gas wasted when the solenoid opens from excessive pressure build-up in the volume of the inert gas supply line&plumbing between the flow adjustment needle valve and the solenoid), have as few possibly leak-prone fittings, valves, and quick disconnects as possible. (To avoid wasting expensive inert gas.)

Add on the fact that a combination TIG/plasma machine also need a method of conveniently switching between compressed air and inert gas, and it is difficult to satisfy all these requirements.

However, a combination TIG/plasma machine will take up less shop floor space, and be a bit cheaper than separate dedicated machines.