Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Here's something to think about... Why do they classify tungstens as nonconsumable???? That one cracks me up. Probably some PhD..

Anyway, Tungsten choices are a good thing and limiting it to one or two is a waste of the potential of the TIG welding process.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

sschefer wrote:LOL,, I thought that was the tung lay method.... Seriously... not...
I was welding over the top of a customer's aluminum welds he said he "did at work", and I think he was using this "lay tung" method Steve speaks of. :lol:

I was filing down some of the material I added to make the joint "disappear", and it was the first time I've ever hit a spot that hard in the middle of soft aluminum with the file. I am actually concerned that I wrecked my nice files.

I've never seen anything like it. You can see the spot appearing a little darker than the surrounding aluminum in the pic (its just in front of the pencil tip.) I decided to carbide burr it out completely and deposit fresh aluminum in its place.
Attachments
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG (89.05 KiB) Viewed 993 times
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

If I'm seeing correctly he spit a tungsten then burned back over it trying to burn it out. Squirt a little WD-40 on your files next time and you'll blow right through it.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

I think tungsten is classified as non-consumable because in a perfect world the electrode would never need to be changed out. Now, the big question-Why do they sell something thats NON-CONSUMABLE in a 10 pack?
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?