Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
FitNPipe
    Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:26 pm

I have bee practicing welding some sockets in the garage and have started running into some issues. First, I'm running 3/32 thoriated tungsten, 1/16 70s-2 for the root and 3/32 after that. I am welding 1 1/4 sch 40 steel pipe fo a steel coupling.

I found the pipe and fittings in a scrapyard down the street. I run the root pass with 1/16 filler at 110-120 amps and it goes in just fine. The problem is when I start trying to stack beads on top of that. I use the 3/32 filler wire for those passes. When I start trying to add these passes I start weaving, It goes ok for the little bit.... then I lose the definition of the puddle following the torch. Normally I can see the puddle move back and forth with the torch, but when I'm welding these sockets it just turns into one big puddle. I've tried turning the heat way down with no success, and have tried moving really fast(which I dont have the skill to do) and I end up with the same giant molten mass. I think that I am not letting the part cool enough between passes, or trying to go too far before the heat builds up.

So the questions become, is this common for overheating a part when trying to weld on it, should I just ty to do it with no weave and move straight? How wide of a weave is too wide for 3/32 filler metal?
AHP 200x
Frustration
Grinder, not a welder.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I run about 130 amps on carbon socket welds. I fuse the first pass with no filler then lay down a hot pass with 3/32 or 1/8 depending on how I feel. Then I let it cool till you can touch it with a gloved hand. Then lay down a nice cover.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Pay real close attention to your arc length. I know it sounds basic but you said you are weaving on cover pass and I assume dabbing on root. I would bet your torch angle is getting at a bad angle and arc length is increasing as you come around the curve. Hence causing a wide uncontrollable puddle plus putting more heat into weld and everything just seems to get worse. Frist thought is to start changing settings and chasing our tails. However, When things go wrong I always found it best to check the very basic stuff first and arc length is the most common thing that gets out of whack. Keep it tight and the puddle is little, controllable, and happy ;)
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I agree arc length will get you in trouble fast especially on the small I'd stuff. I also tend to think the work piece is too hot so you are having an issue welding fast enough to control it.

Let it cool between passes till you can touch it with a gloved hand, brush it well and stack beads. I'd run stringers, no weave unless you want to try to walk the cup but on that small od I personally wouldn't not.

Since your just starting and welding slower you could try the root at 90amps, hot pass at 100 then cap at 105-110. I'd suggest a TIG finger if you do not have one, helps a lot for stability since you can rest right on the weld of you want.

What position are you welding? What exactly are you welding, a socket fitting so your doing a fillet weld? Make sure you allow a 1/16" clearance between the socket and the end of the pipe.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
FitNPipe
    Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:26 pm

Thanks for the input folks. It is a fillet weld, nothing for code or anything... just practice in the garage.

I had a guy I work with tell me not to point the heat straight at the pipe for fear of melt thru so I tried to lean the arc out some. I may be getting a little carried away with how much torch angle I'm using which could be causing the problem.

Luckily I'm a pipefitter and am very familiar with clean cutting and breaking the sockets off so I can get another try at it.
AHP 200x
Frustration
Grinder, not a welder.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Jody made some videos on socket welding might help you if you haven't seen them yet

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/socket-welds.html

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/soc ... kends.html
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.