Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
AugustWest
    Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:43 am

Hey yall thanks for having this forum . I am in welding school and am just starting to tig . I am working with mild steel now and am having a hard time getting the bead small, and a hard time time seeing . I am using 1/16 electrode, a #5 cup , 1/16 filler wire I have a pretty good feed going into the puddle , but the bead is real un even and I am having trouble getting a rhythem bewteen rocking the peddle , feeding the filler wire into the puddle .. HELP ..
BurninRod
    Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:08 pm

best advice i could give you is just practice man. get as much time under the hood as you can and you'll start seeing your beads get prettier and prettier. there's no #1 super secret to making perfect beads your first time, just gotta get that muscle memory fine tuned. Consistancy is the key to good welds.
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Not being able to see the puddle is the first thing you need to fix. Can you explain why you can't see it? Bad Helmet, too much back light in the workspace, wrong torch angle, not enough stickout, etc.. just to mention a few.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
AugustWest
    Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:43 am

made some adjustments , higher heat and more stick out . it really blows me away how just a slight change can turn it all around .. I love it ..