Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
racepak
    Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:47 pm

hello everyone,
first i want to thank Jody for all the videos and his effort to make us all better welders :)

my name is moshe galimidi
i'm from israel and i have been welding for a few years now, i started at home with a cheap stick welder than moved up to a mig and now i do dc tig only,

i decided i want a better/real/AC tig welder, my currant machine is a lincoln invertec 155s. with a gas valve on the torch. :( and no post flow since i need to pull the torch to stop the arc.

i want to weld aluminum and improve my dc welding which i'm limited in because of my machine.

my new requierments are:
ac
foot pedal
fadeout?
pulse
1 phase

i was looking at the Everlast PowerTig 250EX and it seems like a nice unit and it atracts me the most because of its price tag VS all the others miller/linco

i also looked at the PowerPro 226 which is even more atractive since it has a plasma cutter,
but i dont know if i will lose any of the welding options since its a multi purpose machine.

please help me decide,

thanks
Rugar
    Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:40 pm

I have a 250EX and I love it so far.
Think you meant 256? Not 226?
Welding options are supposed to be the exact same. But from what I hear its gets to be a real pain changing back and forth from TIG to Plasma, especially when using both on the same job where you need to change back and forth every few Min's.
Best solution would be a 250EX and a separate Plasma. I have both.
Millermatic 251
Spectrum 300 Plasma
Everlast PowerTig 250EX
Everlast PowerCool W300
Harris/Victor OA
Craftsman 13 Speed Drill Press
ProTools Air/Hydraulic Bender
48" Brake
Compressor, Notchers, Grinders, etc.
WILD BILL
    Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:03 pm

I agree. I have the 225 LX and it wasn't till I got to playing with it that I realized it wont pulse as fast as the the EX.

While I'm real happy with how my welder is performing part of me is wishing I had the better options of the EX
Everlast 225LX
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

I have the 250EX. The only thing I don't like is the foot pedal. I'm having one made by SSC Controls to replace it and I understand that there's plans to offer a different foot pedal in the future. Don't let that stop you from buying one though. It's easily remedied.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
featherhead
    Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:42 pm

Hey Moshe

I bought the Miller Syncrowave 200 a couple years ago and never regretted it. It's a smooth machine, has never needed service or repair. I may upgrade in the next couple weeks to a Dynasty 200DX. The syncrowave calls for a 60 amp circuit breaker. It will tig 1/4" AL at about 175 amps. It has pulse mode. It's real strong on steel, can do 1/2" easily, I've even done 3/4" with multiple passes. It IS large and heavy and will take up some floor space.

I've not compared the 250ex to the Dynasty 200dx except for price, the miller price tag is $3400. Wonder what they offer over and above the everlast's $1500 price?
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

featherhead wrote:Hey Moshe

I bought the Miller Syncrowave 200 a couple years ago and never regretted it. It's a smooth machine, has never needed service or repair. I may upgrade in the next couple weeks to a Dynasty 200DX. The syncrowave calls for a 60 amp circuit breaker. It will tig 1/4" AL at about 175 amps. It has pulse mode. It's real strong on steel, can do 1/2" easily, I've even done 3/4" with multiple passes. It IS large and heavy and will take up some floor space.

I've not compared the 250ex to the Dynasty 200dx except for price, the miller price tag is $3400. Wonder what they offer over and above the everlast's $1500 price?
I think the Dynasty 200DX falls just a little short in a performance but is probably a better quality machine than the 250EX. The 250EX gets you where you need to go and for the price I think it's well worth it. You may have to work through a few bugs with it but if you're willing to deal with that without whimpping out then its a great deal.

Since the Miller or Lincoln are substantially more expensive, if you go that route then have a look at the Dynasty 350 or 700 instead of the 200DX. These are the machines that won't dissapoint you for many years to come.

Something to think about also is pulsed MIG.. Miller has some sweet machines now that will MIG some pretty thin Al.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..