Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
BigD
    Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi guys!

I'm new to TIG and I've been getting a few hours a day practice for the past few weeks, and progress has been good thanks to Jody's videos. I've already done a few practical projects which turned out well, including out of position stuff, working the pedal with my knee and such.

Anyway, I don't have a torch switch and with my machine's 4T settings I'd like to get one for doing some DOM tubing work that may require me to be upside down... I saw Miller has the RCCS-14 but it seems a bit ridiculous to pay 220 bucks for a switch, some wire and a connector. Before I go make my own from ebay parts, does anyone have one they can suggest that's reasonably priced and will work with the 14 pin miller connection? Just a simple paddle deal is all I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

I just made my own for my Dynasty 200.

I picked up a 14-pin amphenol connector from SSC Controls, a momentary switch from my local welding supply store, and 20 feet of white and also black copper stranded automotive wire.

You solder the white wire to pinout A and solder the black wire to pinout B, and you have a switch.

SSC Controls - 10041-20 Plug and 10041-C12 Clamp (for Miller 14-Pin)

BigD

Thanks for the diagram, that's what I ended up doing. Works great, esp with around 2s of downslope to reposition. All for 40 bucks.

Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

Nice to know but a little late I bought Millers thumbwheel type last August for those awkward footpedal positions.
BigD

The welding shop had one of those too and I was playing with it for a long time trying to convince myself to get one. The shop bought it way back when the dollar was at parity so they're selling it for less than I can get it anywhere online new. But it's still 180 bucks monopoly money so I passed. I might go back to pick it up later, I can think of uses for it but the downslope lets me effectively PWM the heat if the machine is set too high.
Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

Luckily my investments are in Us dollars made while at par gives me a extra 42¢ on the Loonie!
Bkdsherrod
    Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks for all of the great advice! I too was unwilling to pay $200+ for a momentary continuity switch from Big Blue. I thought I would share my solution;

Eastwood sells their version #21258 (switch+15'cord+5pin plug) for $9.95+ shipping. And as another contributor posted, SSC has a high quality metal 14-pin plug, item #10041-20 with cord clamp for $21.25. I'm going to cut off the eastwood 5-pin and solder on the SSC 14-pin. Done. And for around $40.
BigD

I had a look at that eastwood part number and it's that paddle switch all the Chinese welders come with. I'm not a fan of these, my China plasma cutter came with one, I was always afraid of breaking it (and later saw videos of guys doing just that). The button is nicely positive without needing a long sweep which can make you jerk the torch, and it's a lot harder to trigger it accidentally.

Since I last updated this thread, I got this button housing from TEC. The generic button I have fits well but it's a bit too thick. I could have cut the back off the rubber housing and it would fit flush but I don't mind it as is.

SS-100

http://www.tectorch.com/Airco%20Tig%20T ... itches.pdf