Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
featherhead
    Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:42 pm

Getting psyched up about welding because of this site. Have a syncrowave 200 for 2 years now, would like to upgrade to a Dynasty 200 DX. Looking through the Miller site and wondering if my gas lens setups will fit on the 200DX? Anyone know if they use the same torches?

Also working on a 200 amp single phase service with dedicated 220 breaker. The syncrowave kicks breaker routinely at 180 A or above. Don't know whether the 200DX might use power more efficiently or it's just a limitation of household power strength?
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

featherhead wrote:Getting psyched up about welding because of this site. Have a syncrowave 200 for 2 years now, would like to upgrade to a Dynasty 200 DX. Looking through the Miller site and wondering if my gas lens setups will fit on the 200DX? Anyone know if they use the same torches?

Also working on a 200 amp single phase service with dedicated 220 breaker. The syncrowave kicks breaker routinely at 180 A or above. Don't know whether the 200DX might use power more efficiently or it's just a limitation of household power strength?
I know why your blowing breakers but I won't even get into that on a forum like this. Call an electrician..

The 200DX is definitely a nice machine and a miser when comparing power consumption but it won't give you any more welding power and only a few more (sweet though) features. I would suggest the Dynasty 350 if you want to stretch your legs a little and really get a full featured inverter style TIG welder.

As for torches, you might need to change connectors to make them hookup to the new machine, (easy). As long as you use them within their rated dutycycle/current ratings you should be fine.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
featherhead
    Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:42 pm

Thanks Steve,

I helped my electrician hook up the TIG, recall installing a 60 amp breaker to code. I think I know about the breakers as well because I was trying to TIG 3/8" Aluminum. It WILL tig 1/2" steel, but the thick Al sinks too much heat.
Sarge

http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/voltdrop.jsp this site will give some insight to your power issues. Has the formulas for wiring size etc.
Be Innovative.
Goal is perfection, but excellence is Acceptable.
Powermig 255C
Powermig 350MP x2
175 squarewave
Weld-pac 100
Hypertherm 600
Hypertherm 1250
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

featherhead wrote:Thanks Steve,

I helped my electrician hook up the TIG, recall installing a 60 amp breaker to code. I think I know about the breakers as well because I was trying to TIG 3/8" Aluminum. It WILL tig 1/2" steel, but the thick Al sinks too much heat.

Yep, I've been there. You can mix Ar/He and that will allow you to weld with less amps. It can end up costing you around 2,000.00 for a true mixing system or you can usually buy 80/20 premix.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..