Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Talphozie_XD
    Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:13 pm

Hello everybody, new here and I'm looking for advice on how to weld these cast aluminum outrigger pads. They were damaged and was wondering if it's feasible to just fill the damaged area? If you have any better ideas that would be great. I'm not too familiar with welding aluminum, really need to get out and weld other things beside steel but my job really does not allow it....
Anyway, if the pictures don't show tell me please. Thanks
Attachments
7044023_IMG_0782.jpg.jpeg
7044023_IMG_0782.jpg.jpeg (68.72 KiB) Viewed 758 times
7044088_IMG_0783.jpg.jpeg
7044088_IMG_0783.jpg.jpeg (54.27 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I would recommend calling the manufacturer for recommendations on making that repair. They may be able to tell you what process and filler to use. I've seen pads that were welded before but I don't know if it's acceptable?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

I'd do a simple break test. Clean up the edge of that damaged web just below the damage and weld a piece
of 6061 flat bar to it with 4043. Then snap it off. If you pull the whole nugget off with the bar then it's probably
an alloy that won't readily weld. If the nugget snaps in the middle leaving weld on both pieces then you're
good to go. Clean it good, position it horizontal, clamp a heavy copper backer bar for the buildup to rest on,
preheat and weld. Shape the repair with a grinder and you should be good to go. Sandblast the piece after
the repair and no one will ever know you've been there! LOL! ;) :mrgreen:
Talphozie_XD
    Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:13 pm

Thanks for the replies, will see if I can get in touch with the manufacturer, with the break test, is it OK to use MIG instead of TIG, (TIG machine not in the shop at the moment) and if you weld aluminum, does it have similar cracking characteristics like that of steel? I would assume depending on the alloy. However if weldable will there be a risk of cracking? Thanks again
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I don't want to be a soggy mop but I have ran into these repairs before and you better make sure your welder is qualified. I can't remember the specifics but when that crane is recertified they WILL ask to see the paperwork for that repair before they sign off. We ran into this at a place I used to work. We repaired it and almost ended up in a lawsuit because the welder that did the repair was not certified.
Jonathan