Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
BooRadley
    Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:07 am

So I'm going to take a test in a couple of days, tigging 1/8" thick mild steel, t joint, vertical. I have been using 3/32 tungsten and same size filler for 2F(horizontal tee), @ 93A, DCEN, with foot pedal. I have been walking the cup with 2F position tee joint. My questions are:

Should I use different amp setting, different size filler rod, or different size tungsten when tigging a tee in 3F position? Also should I freehand in this position, or try walking the cup? (I have walked the cup before in this position, but it has been about a year since then, and I can't remember much about the required technique anymore).

I will be able to practice for a cumulative 8 hours before taking the test, starting tomorrow evening.

Thanks for your input.
BooRadley
    Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:07 am

Test is in the morning. I can retake it a couple of times if I fail, but if someene can answer any of my questions, it would be helpful. I really don't want to fail. :(
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

How have you been doing with your practicing until now? What problems are you experiencing? All your welding parameters seem to be ok. I would run just a little more on the amps, but it sounds good. As for freehand or walking the cup, that is up to you and what you feel comfortable with.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

What Jpence said. All depends what your comfortable with. I only walk the cup when I weld pipe, and even then I freehand the cover pass. Everything else I freehand, but thats just the way I was taught.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?