Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
cjack56
    Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:56 pm

Hi.

First off, the last time I really did any Aluminum welding was 35-40 years ago with a scratch start setup. I recently purchased an Everlast Power Pro 256, and it works fine in dc TIG, Stick and Plasma cutting modes. However, I can't get it to strike a stable arc in AC mode on Aluminum. I've tried just about every combination of settings I can think of, turned the gas flow both up and down, made sure the base metal was cleaned (both brush & Acetone), but I still can't get a good arc out of it. If I turn the amperage up high enough eventually it will strike, then melt through the base metal instantly. I've spoken to the Everlast help dept. a few times, and their attitude is if it will TIG steel, then there is nothing wrong with the machine. I seem to recall Jodie had a similar problem with a similar unit, and fixed it by adjusting the gap between some points somewhere inside the unit? I have no problem opening up the unit and doing a simple adjustment (I was an Electronics Tech for over 35 yrs), but it would be nice to know just WHERE to look for the points (?) that need to be adjusted. I really like everything else about the PowerPro 256, but it's really frustrating not to be able to weld Aluminum with it. That was the whole idea behind purchasing it. Any help would be appreciated.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

If it is a new model unit, I believe they did away with an arc gap high frequency unit and went to transistor circuits for the high frequency. I'm not familiar with your machine specifically, but I do know that around 2013 Everlast started to transition rapidly to solid state circuits for the high frequency end of things.

If you look in the user manual, it should say something in the about the gap adjustment for the points if it does indeed still use points.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
GreinTime

Out of curiosity, are you using high frequency start and still trying to lift arc/scratch start?

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
cjack56

GreinTime wrote:Out of curiosity, are you using high frequency start and still trying to lift arc/scratch start?
Yes, using HF start, no, not trying to scratch start.
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

What tungsten are you using?

Inverter based machines do not like green/pure tungsten.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

What setting do you have the AC balance on?
Metal thickness and amperage?
Tungsten size and type?
Cup size, argon flow rate?

Could you take a pic of you settings? That would answer a lot of potential questions.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
cjack56

rake wrote:What tungsten are you using?

Inverter based machines do not like green/pure tungsten.
5/32" blue tip (Lanthanated).
cjack56

MinnesotaDave wrote:What setting do you have the AC balance on?
Metal thickness and amperage?
Tungsten size and type?
Cup size, argon flow rate?

Could you take a pic of you settings? That would answer a lot of potential questions.
Can't take a pic right now, as I don't have an indoor shop (I can only set up outside, so I don't do a lot of welding in the winter- it tends to RAIN in Oregon...) :(

It's been a few months since I tried this, so these settings are from my notes:

AC: Work ground POSITIVE Yellow knobs control: AC Frequency: 120 Hz for normal use.
Duty Cycle (balance) 60%
Lanthanated (blue) 5/32" electrode stick out 1/8”-3/16”, ¼” max, pointed tip.
1/8" aluminum, 125 amps. HF start.

Gas flow reads in Liters/Min, NOT Cu Ft/Hr. 10/l/min = about 20 cu ft/hr. (Aluminum) #6 gas cup.

Blue knobs are Pulse settings (normally off)

Green knobs control gas timers, startup & ending Amps, Arc slopes.
Pre Flow AT LEAST 1-2 sec. Post Flow 5 sec.

So, am I totally off here? Or in the ballpark?
GreinTime

Turn your balance to less than 50% for starters, the Everlast machines are backwards from Miller/Lincoln in that regard. You're currently welding at 60%EP/40%EN. That should really be an issue with a 5/32 tungsten as far as overheating, but it would likely be a shitty experience trying to weld with it.

Why 5/32 tungsten would be my question? I would be welding at 125 amps with a 3/32 tungsten, but have the machine set at 150-175 to allow control of the arc and have room on top and bottom of where I could establish an arc and proceed to weld.

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

GreinTime wrote:Turn your balance to less than 50% for starters, the Everlast machines are backwards from Miller/Lincoln in that regard. You're currently welding at 60%EP/40%EN. That should really be an issue with a 5/32 tungsten as far as overheating, but it would likely be a shitty experience trying to weld with it.
Really? That could kick someone's a$$ :lol:
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

LtBadd wrote:
GreinTime wrote:Turn your balance to less than 50% for starters, the Everlast machines are backwards from Miller/Lincoln in that regard. You're currently welding at 60%EP/40%EN. That should really be an issue with a 5/32 tungsten as far as overheating, but it would likely be a shitty experience trying to weld with it.
Really? That could kick someone's a$$ :lol:
Yep, Everlast welders have the AC balance marked backward from the American convention. I dread what will happen if they fix this... They'll confuse the hell out of loyal users.

Steve S