Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

But not to welding. I have a question in regards to tungsten size. If using a 1/16 tungsten compared to a 3/32 would the amperage change? Had a discussion that the A/C amperage would stay the same only the size of the potential weld changes. I'm welding 1/8 aluminum. Only running practice beads at the moment.
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

It is not that the amperage increases with the change in size of the tungsten electrode, but each tungsten electrode size has an ideal current carrying capacity for its minimum and maximum amperage. If the amperage is too high for a certain size tungsten, one thing it can do is start to erode away the tip of the tungsten. If the amperage is too low for a certain size tungsten, one thing that it can do is not hold a stable arc; causing it to be erratic and wander.

These two guidebooks have a wealth of information on the subject of TIG (GTAW) Welding.

CK Worldwide - Technical Specifications for TIG Welding
Diamond Ground Products - Tungsten Guidebook
John Chamorro

Thanks for the references. What my goal is to learn small gauge aluminum welding from around 14 to 8 gauge. I'm also welding mild steel exhaust in the 16 gauge range. I'm doing fairly well on the mild steel with 1/16 tungsten at around 60 to 80 amps. I just started working with Aluminum and so far am pleased with my results but I want to optimize my efforts. I'm taking a class at the local college and they have machines with all the bells and whistles but I'm running a Miller Econo-Tig 150 at home. I think I'm their first student that gets a student and a senior discount.
    Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:13 pm
    Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada

dynasty200sd wrote:It is not that the amperage increases with the change in size of the tungsten electrode, but each tungsten electrode size has an ideal current carrying capacity for its minimum and maximum amperage. If the amperage is too high for a certain size tungsten, one thing it can do is start to erode away the tip of the tungsten. If the amperage is too low for a certain size tungsten, one thing that it can do is not hold a stable arc; causing it to be erratic and wander.

These two guidebooks have a wealth of information on the subject of TIG (GTAW) Welding.

CK Worldwide - Technical Specifications for TIG Welding
Diamond Ground Products - Tungsten Guidebook
Thanks for the links!!!!! 8-)
Lincoln Electric AC-225 Stick Welder Canadian Tire
MIG 100E Flux-Cored Wire Feed Welder Princess Auto
PowerTIG 250EX Everlast Power Equipment
Ironton Dry Cut Metal Saw — 14in, on it's way Northern Tool
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

John - If you haven't yet, invest in a quality gas lens and some decent cups. The tungsten size for your application doesn't matter. Stick with a 3/32 tungsten because it will do 5 amps all the way up to 200 amps comfortably. On both AC and DC. For thin material, gas coverage is equally important to amps, especially on AC. And thin AC will get heat soaked promptly, so take your time and use enough filler rod to chill your puddle as you go.
John Chamorro

cj737 wrote:John - If you haven't yet, invest in a quality gas lens and some decent cups. The tungsten size for your application doesn't matter. Stick with a 3/32 tungsten because it will do 5 amps all the way up to 200 amps comfortably. On both AC and DC. For thin material, gas coverage is equally important to amps, especially on AC. And thin AC will get heat soaked promptly, so take your time and use enough filler rod to chill your puddle as you go.
Thanks for the reply but your just shy of 2 years late! It's all good though. I ended up taking around 4-5 different weld classes and met some really good guys.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Lol. Sorry never looked at the original thread date :oops:
John Chamorro

cj737 wrote:Lol. Sorry never looked at the original thread date :oops:
That's OK. I never know what day it is let alone what year!
Downwindtracker2
    Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:36 pm

Thank you
Man of foolish pursuits
Millermatic 250x MIG
Magnum (Hugong) Wave 200KD ac/dc TIG
Liquid Air O/A torch