Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Stevo450
    Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:37 pm

I would like to learn how to weld, primarily aluminium, stainless, mild steel and titanium ( very ocassional )... I'm a bit of a weekend garage warrior and spend a lot of time dreaming up stuff that I want to make or find things I want to repair but always having to outsource stuff... I've been watching a LOT of Jody on welding tips and tricks for over a year and decided that I've got to learn to weld!

So I've had a good look at TIG machines and argon bottles etc and the cost of getting into it isn't cheap but for a lifelong skill set that I'll use for years to come I figure it's worth it!

I have Lincoln machines available at a tool store close by and hear good things about them!

So am I out of my depth here? I understand that this is going to take some time to get the hang of it but I have a lot of patience so I think I can do it :)

What do you think and what machine ( model ) is a good start point? Bearing in mind that down the track I don't want to be having to get another machine because I started out with the most basic model and that sort of thing....

Any advice/tips/ideas/thoughts would be great!
Thanks
Steve
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Tig has a long learning curve but it's just a welding process - it can be learned.

Have fun, don't take shortcuts, practice practice practice - after the first 100 hours it gets much easier.

Rule #1, never practice on an actual part - the grinding and rework more than negate any time saved by not practicing on scrap first.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Stevo450 wrote:I would like to learn how to weld, primarily aluminium, stainless, mild steel and titanium ( very ocassional )... I'm a bit of a weekend garage warrior and spend a lot of time dreaming up stuff that I want to make or find things I want to repair but always having to outsource stuff... I've been watching a LOT of Jody on welding tips and tricks for over a year and decided that I've got to learn to weld!

So I've had a good look at TIG machines and argon bottles etc and the cost of getting into it isn't cheap but for a lifelong skill set that I'll use for years to come I figure it's worth it!

I have Lincoln machines available at a tool store close by and hear good things about them!

So am I out of my depth here? I understand that this is going to take some time to get the hang of it but I have a lot of patience so I think I can do it :)

What do you think and what machine ( model ) is a good start point? Bearing in mind that down the track I don't want to be having to get another machine because I started out with the most basic model and that sort of thing....

Any advice/tips/ideas/thoughts would be great!
Thanks
Steve
People have been welding and learning how to weld for a long time. You can do it too. Just don't try to re-invent anything. Jody's videos are priceless in the knowledge that he gives you. Welding is just a process that has been perfected and only takes practice to master. We were all beginners at one time. Have fun!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

The miller machines are certainly good choices but there are a lot of options out there and for a hobby level welder, that may be over the top. Many people use machines like this and are very happy with them:

http://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-Stic ... ds=ahp+tig

Besides the welder itself, budget for an argon tank, gas lenses, torch heads, a selection of fill rods, welding outfit including a good helmet and a pair of high dexterity gloves.

I got into it much the same as you and practiced on my own for months before taking a welding class. The class did nothing for overall knowledge but it was a great chance to practice a lot and in the end, that is most of what gets you there.

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Miller Dynasty210dx. Done
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

With practice, perseverance, a thirst for knowledge, constant self evaluation, the ability to laugh at your mistakes, and a good attitude, you will be great!
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

As a weekend warrior the biggest issue you'll face is seat time.
You'll have a run where you'll get to a point where you'll start getting happy with your welds and comfortable with the process, all good.
Then there will be a bit of a hiatus where nothing needs welding.
Your next attempt will show just what "fido's butt" looks like and the kids learn some new words.
As mentioned practice on scrap first, learn from your mistakes and enjoy.

Cheers
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
thespian
    Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56 pm

I would say you are not crazy at all. Learning tig is another thing to learn, so learn it.

I would say even before you buy a machine get a piece of welding rod , and set in front of the tv, and run it with one hand from end to end keeping in mind that you want to keep the end in the gas of the torch. This will give you a leg up for sure, as feeding wire is the "hardest" part of learning to tig weld.
As for machine , I think the everlast powertig 250 is a hard one to beat for a home welder. You can add a cooler down the road if you would like, and they are pretty cost effective as far as machines go.
Thespian is just an old username I have used forever , my name is Bill
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

if you have a oxy/acetylene welding set up its is
a nice stepping stone to TIG.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

You hear that alot. It's logical so there must be truth in it.
I've oxy welded for many years, damn I can just about oxy weld with my eyes closed.
Didn't seem to help me when I decided to learn tig. Man was I ham fisted. Stick and mig no probs but my teachers must have thought I was hopeless at tig. Seat time is the key. So if I was on a budget and didn't already have an oxy set I would go straight to the tig power source and get practicing.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Stevo450

Wow! An overwhelming number of positive comments with the general go-for-it! Pretty excited and now would like advice on a good TIG welder...
BRAND?
MODEL?
ACCESSORIES? ( electrodes, foot pedal, gas lens, filler wire...I dunno anything worth getting )
PPE?
GAS?

Once I've acquired a machine I'd probably start practicing on some mild steel and aluminium ( bear that in mind when suggesting accessories :) )
So what is a good grade of aluminium to practice on?
Obviously there are a number of basic welds I'll need to work on ( lap joins etc ) but what's a good way to start?
Lots of questions..............

Stevo450 wrote:a good TIG welder...
BRAND?
MODEL?
ACCESSORIES? ( electrodes, foot pedal, gas lens, filler wire...I dunno anything worth getting )
PPE?
GAS?

Once I've acquired a machine I'd probably start practicing on some mild steel and aluminium ( bear that in mind when suggesting accessories :) )
Obviously there are a number of basic welds I'll need to work on ( lap joins etc ) but what's a good way to start?
What's your budget for a machine?
Richard
Website
Stevo450

LtBadd wrote:
Stevo450 wrote:a good TIG welder...
BRAND?
MODEL?
PPE?
GAS?

What's your budget for a machine?
I'm willing to spend up to ( maybe more ) $2500 AUD....
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Stevo -

After absolute minimum dabbling with stick, I started out on Tig, with a focus on aluminium. As others have said, so much comes down to seat time and you will use up a LOT of argon. And that is expensive.

I am reasonably happy with my progress and can now weld strong, functional parts, although I wouldn't go so far as to call them pretty yet. In my early days I was out at the bench every single night welding scrap, watching videos, welding more, taking notes. Take plenty of notes!

I don't have any association with Tokentools but I can recommend them. My Metalmaster Elite 215 cost under $2K and will handle low and fairly high amp work, all metals. It also has an onboard stick welder and plasma cutter, which is handy. Pete at Tokentools really backs up his stuff - call him and he will help you, no doubt about it. In my opinion that counts for a lot.

One tip - if you deal with Pete at Token, be sure to specify a smaller torch than the mega sized 26 that comes standard with the welding machine.

Have fun!

Kym
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

When starting out buy the tig "TRICK" :lol: accessory of the week till one figures out it is seat time practice as stated.
Practice and notes and more practice. Most of the welds one does will never be seen except by the welder,self analyse important.
One will learn new word usage :roll: and have fun.. This forum can be helpful.
series 9 or 20 ,style torches, with super flex hoses, proved most useful to me.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
weldit321@gmail.com
    Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 pm

Get an everlast 256s Its an AC/DC Tig, Stick, Plasma cutter combo unit for around $1800 USD. It has pulse settings which could help you with getting good bead appearance on tig welding before you master pedal control. I've had mine for a little over 3 years and love it. They come with a 5 year warranty and are easy to figure out (dont let all the dials confuse you)Image

Just FYI for the OP, I have heard it said on several occasions that the Metalmaster (Tokentools) machine is simply the Everlast machine (above) rebranded.

Don't know this for sure but they look like twins - same features, basically one is green, the other red, some differences in the user interface. Like the Everlast machine in the states, the Metalmaster in Australia also carries a 5 year warranty.

Again, I have no business association with Tokentools, have just had good experiences dealing with them.

Kym
Harry72
    Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:59 am

If you intend to weld ally you will need at least a 200amp machine... your budget will just cover that including a bottle of gas.
What ever you do dont be fooled by the cheaper Chinese machines, here in oz this will leave you with brands like token tools and Everlast... Unimig newer models. CIG and WIA do have machines in this price range but they a low on features you may need in the near future. Most American brands here are exuberantly priced and aimed more towards the professionals.

And yeah as others have said be specific about what torch you want when you order your machine... I just upgraded mine from a wp18 @12' long to a CK20 (wp20 style)@25' long superflex cables and it was just over $700 AU.
My machine is a Everlast 210ext and W300 water cooler and E2 sized bottle... with this torch added Im hitting over $4k and then come all the consumable bits!

Just some more thoughts as they come to mind for the benefit (hopefully) of the OP:

Before purchasing I had folks tell me "Forget different wave forms, forget pulse, you'll never use that stuff." But I started using those features within a couple month of receiving the machine. Very handy.

I was also told that a memory function on the machine was just a gimmick, but I now use it all the time. When you find the perfect settings for a material/job, it's great to be able to call them up again later at the touch of a button.

Finally, some people reckoned that the generalised 'welding for dummies' AC and DC settings on my machine would be a crutch - I'd never learn to set up the machine myself, I'd just use these numpty settings all the time. I found quite the opposite - using these to start with helped build my confidence very quickly in the early days. Now and then today they are still handy as a reference point when I am setting up the machine.

Hope this stuff is helpful, anyhow.

Kym
Stevo450

Again a big thanks to everyone for their inputs!! It's really encouraging to get all these positive responses to my question and a the info given is definitely making me this very carefully about what machine I should be looking at before I dive in and buy the first TIG machine I see!
I would love one with stick/arc welding and plasma but those are bonuses.

As for brand I'm a sucker for 'brand names' only because I've been burn by 'cheap' stuff before-not saying that suggested machines are no good I'll just need a LOT of convincing before I buy.

Perhaps in my quest for a machine I should maybe ask for the machines ratings ( amps output ) and features-pulse settings, square wave etc etc the reason I want a rather I depth machine is because I plan to develop ( over time of corse ) my TIG welding skills to the point where I would have to use the functions that come with the machine...
Hope that makes sense.....?

I gues I'm going to have to get myself geared up for a larger than expected outlay for a TIG!

Hey Stevo.

Yes, it's good to get down to the details and research all the features and ratings of each machine, no doubt about it.

If you decide to look further into the Metalmaster stuff, all of this - duty, amps, features - is listed on their website or of course you can just call Pete and talk to him.

Brand names? I wanted a Miller Dynasty, but decided against extending my mortgage in the end. Just too much cash for me as a hobbyist. Be aware that in Australia, the well-known and trusted brands tend to be made in China anyhow, unless you go for something like a Kemppi.

In the end I wound up Googling the dealer and the welder type and for my choice I found overwhelmingly positive feedback, which is what counts...great service reputation and a human being on the end of the phone to back you up.

I think your plan to buy a fully featured machine and 'grow into it' makes a lot of sense. I'd hate to buy a very basic machine and find myself wanting more capability shortly thereafter.

Regarding my machine, I am already exploring various wave forms. One of Jody's videos on welding 1.6mm wall aluminium tube called for Triangle Wave. I gave this a shot and it worked a treat! I'm also using pulse pretty often, and I definitely value the ability to crank the amps down low for super thin stuff and still enjoy great arc starts. Practising and exploring pretty much every evening, there's a lot to enjoy with a fully featured machine.

All the best with your research and your decision, whatever your choice. My only regret with Tig is that I didn't get into it 10 years earlier!

Kym
TWENTY B
    Sun May 07, 2017 6:44 pm

So after a year how is your progress?
I'm about to start down the same path with a unimig razorweld 200 ac/dc
mpete53
    Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:33 am

As I see it, when you buy most tig machines, you are also getting a stick machine. So, you can learn two types of welding.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Stick and TIG are just about the 2 processes allowing you to do pretty much anything you want, MIG is like the speed up of stick in my opinion and a speed up for aluminum welding as well. Makes it go quicker but less control.
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

YES!! :D
And now you are one of the club :lol: :lol:
Helmet time cures most problems,if not just ask, many here willing to help,settings and pictures get response. ;)
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)