Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Hey Stevo.

Yes, it's good to get down to the details and research all the features and ratings of each machine, no doubt about it.

If you decide to look further into the Metalmaster stuff, all of this - duty, amps, features - is listed on their website or of course you can just call Pete and talk to him.

Brand names? I wanted a Miller Dynasty, but decided against extending my mortgage in the end. Just too much cash for me as a hobbyist. Be aware that in Australia, the well-known and trusted brands tend to be made in China anyhow, unless you go for something like a Kemppi.

In the end I wound up Googling the dealer and the welder type and for my choice I found overwhelmingly positive feedback, which is what counts...great service reputation and a human being on the end of the phone to back you up.

I think your plan to buy a fully featured machine and 'grow into it' makes a lot of sense. I'd hate to buy a very basic machine and find myself wanting more capability shortly thereafter.

Regarding my machine, I am already exploring various wave forms. One of Jody's videos on welding 1.6mm wall aluminium tube called for Triangle Wave. I gave this a shot and it worked a treat! I'm also using pulse pretty often, and I definitely value the ability to crank the amps down low for super thin stuff and still enjoy great arc starts. Practising and exploring pretty much every evening, there's a lot to enjoy with a fully featured machine.

All the best with your research and your decision, whatever your choice. My only regret with Tig is that I didn't get into it 10 years earlier!

Kym
TWENTY B
    Sun May 07, 2017 6:44 pm

So after a year how is your progress?
I'm about to start down the same path with a unimig razorweld 200 ac/dc
mpete53
    Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:33 am

As I see it, when you buy most tig machines, you are also getting a stick machine. So, you can learn two types of welding.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Stick and TIG are just about the 2 processes allowing you to do pretty much anything you want, MIG is like the speed up of stick in my opinion and a speed up for aluminum welding as well. Makes it go quicker but less control.
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

YES!! :D
And now you are one of the club :lol: :lol:
Helmet time cures most problems,if not just ask, many here willing to help,settings and pictures get response. ;)
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)