Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Hey Noah.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with the Flexloc 150 to comment on its relative sizing or component fitment compared to the standard flexible #17 head, but there'll be someone wiser than me on here who will have the information for you, I'm sure.

Love your enthusiasm - when you get started and channel that into constant practise it'll move you ahead fast. I still remember when I first lit up and ran a bead on aluminium, I just sat back afterwards and thought "Why haven't I been doing this all my life?" So cool, so damn useful.

Kym
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Noah,
The CK Flexloc with a #3 series head will have consumables that interchange with a 17 series torch and you can also replace it with a #2 series head which will interchange with the #9 torch.One thing that should be noted is that adding a stubby gas lens to a 17/#3 series torch lowers it amp rating to about 130 amps.

Usually the only thing limiting how long you will weld is the amount of heat you're willing to withstand in your hand.
I've welded Schedule 80 and XXS with a Flexloc 150 with a Tig Finger straighten out over the handle and it finally melted the nut that tightens the head in place. Another thing that should be noted about a Flexloc water cooled version is that the head is not cooled by the water, only the handle, but that usually enough to keep the tightening nut from meltdown.

All in all they're a great torch for getting into tight spots and if used within their limits can be used everyday. The extra money for the Super Flex lines is money well spent in my opinion.

Most of the 26/17 torches with regular hoses are as stiff as a honeymoon pecker and as awkward as a 14 year old who's learning to chase trim. They're heavy and don't flex enough to let you get comfortable which makes learning that much harder.

I've never used a flexible neck torch, so I'll reserve comment on those.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Least honorable
    Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

Braehill wrote: Most of the 26/17 torches with regular hoses are as stiff as a honeymoon pecker and as awkward as a 14 year old who's learning to chase trim. They're heavy and don't flex enough to let you get comfortable which makes learning that much harder.

I've never used a flexible neck torch, so I'll reserve comment on those.

Len

love your analogy :) , i had a few questions though, how do i know what torch # to get for my machine, or part # that will specifically fit my everlast 250, do i call them up? and isnt the flexloc 150 capped at 150 amp rating with the #17 torch? thank you for your help, but even if you havent used them all that much, did you hear good things on the flexheads?

edit: watched a few videos, decided to go with the flexloc and it seems you like it for the same reason that i do, with the 360 swivel and it being not limited to 1 torch head, but to 2 that being the 9 and 17 (and i dont understand what u meant by saying it had a 130 amp limit? does the gas lens make it easier for the torch to heat up?)
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Noah,
Go to Weldfabulous.com and look at the CK SL2-35QD for $46.43 and the CK FL1525SF torch for $185.49 and while you're there look up the #2 series head for the Flexloc and you'll be all set.

What I was saying is that a "Stubby" gas lens basically changes a #3 series torch into a number #2 series torch and that means there's a lot less material to absorb heat. The reason one torch is rated for more amps than another all comes down to real estate, bigger adsorbs more.

I've welded with an old "150" amp #17 torch for close to an hour straight at over 200 amps, and used that same torch for many years. It was heavy and not flexible, and definitely not fun to weld with, but it was well made and would stand up to the heat. Now I use a CK Trimline 210 that's lighter, more flexible and much easier to weld with, it also will weld at more than 200 amps for an hour, but I'm much happier welding with it.

One torch really doesn't cover all types of welding and if you stick with this as a hobby or a career you'll use many different ones, some you'll love and some you'll hate.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Least honorable

Braehill wrote: What I was saying is that a "Stubby" gas lens basically changes a #3 series torch into a number #2 series torch and that means there's a lot less material to absorb heat. The reason one torch is rated for more amps than another all comes down to real estate, bigger adsorbs more.

I've welded with an old "150" amp #17 torch for close to an hour straight at over 200 amps, and used that same torch for many years. It was heavy and not flexible, and definitely not fun to weld with, but it was well made and would stand up to the heat. Now I use a CK Trimline 210 that's lighter, more flexible and much easier to weld with, it also will weld at more than 200 amps for an hour, but I'm much happier welding with it.

One torch really doesn't cover all types of welding and if you stick with this as a hobby or a career you'll use many different ones, some you'll love and some you'll hate.

Len

that information is really helpful, i was thinking of getting a trimline 210, but i dont really want a garden hose to maneuver, and i think that 150 amps is good enough for my applications, though if you say the lead is comfortable and flexible, i might reconsider, but i think ill start off with the flexloc 150 to get good practice on everything like walking the cup and stuff since flexheads are that good for it.

thanks for the help again, len
regards

noah
Least honorable

oh,and holy crap, 50% off, thanks for the tip, ill probably buy it tomorrow!