Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
mpete53
    Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:33 am

I guess it the gas?

I took the torch apart, (end cap and all cup end fittings off) unplugged the lead from the welder (gas feed separate connection) plugged both sides of the torch head with my fingers. When I pressed the peddle the flow meter jumped up as it pressurized the lines then went to zero, so the quick connect , hose and head are gas tight.

I then reassembled and did the soapy water test. I got a few bubbles, the largest about the size of a pea after 10 seconds of gas flow. This would seem to be a very small percentage of the gas flow at 20 cfh. I then using good quality stretchy electrical tape, I taped the joint between the end cap and torch body and tried the spot test again no better.

Does this all sound like a good torch leak test? Can anyone add to what I should try?

Thanks

Mark
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

You should try welding :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Nothing like giving a new welder a 40 page list of things to confuse him even more.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Is it possible that you have a bad bottle of argon? Yes. Is it more likely that the problem is the tank vs something you are still doing wrong? Not really.

If you take the tank back to your supplier they'll probably swap it out for free if you tell them it is bad. If it isn't hard to do that, why not. At least you'll know one way or another.
exnailpounder wrote:You should try welding :lol:
Something to be said about just getting torch time and worrying about perfection later... Get so torch time on mild steel where the material is cheaper and it matters less if you have some oxygen in your shielding gas.

Just to sanity check though... You are running pure argon not 75:25 right? Those salmon color spots were with an on time of like a second right? You aren't cranking the gas flow rate way up to shield better right?

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens
mpete53

the tank is labeled Argon. No sparks or splatter.

The last test may be a little high on the flow 20 cfh and a #6 nozzle.

My steel welds don't look that nice either.

May have a chance to get access to another tank just to check if it is the gas

If I can't, It's only an 80 cf tank, and as you all say I need the torch time so I plan to run it out

Thanks

Mark
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Checking flow meter test wont tell anything. We are not looking massive leaks...

Where the bubbles appeared?
-Markus-
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Mark,
Any leak is a bad leak and sometimes the small leaks cause big problems as they are the ones that draw atmosphere in instead of blowing Argon out.

Another thing that needs to be looked at is your collet, if they are twisted and swollen, they restrict flow through the torch head. The best cure for this is to pick up the CK wedge collets and call it a day, they last almost forever and can't twist.

An 80cf bottle is one of the most likely candidates for moisture. They are usually bumped up to pressure off another (bank of) cylinder without ever being evacuated under a vacuum to remove moisture. If you own the cylinder and they fill it while you wait, this is almost assuredly what's happening. Get an inline moisture filter from Harbor Freight or the like and put it in the low pressure side of your system. Better yet, get a cheap vacuum pump while you're there and draw your cylinder down to vacuum overnight before you take it to be re-filled.

All that being said, I'm with the camp that says "who cares if it's not shiny". I weld quite a bit of small diameter heavy walled stainless piping and I'm here to tell you that most of it isn't shiny by the 3rd pass. Even if the weld itself is still shiny, the HAZ is definitely not. Did I overheat the pipe an inch on either side of the weld? Probably not, but it has reached a critical temperature in which it can oxidize without gas coverage. Shiny welds are achievable, but they come at a cost that most people in industry wouldn't be willing to pay. There are millions of dull stainless welds holding all manner things together all over the planet. Brush it and move on to the next weld.

Just my opinion, but if you're going for shiny, you're going to need a lot bigger Argon cylinder. It's all about gas coverage and get moving.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
mpete53

My weld polish up good enough for my needs so as long as strong and stainless.

So I guess its time to just keep welding and get better if not as shiny as I would like, welds.

Thanks

Mark
Rituchim
    Mon May 02, 2016 12:33 pm

the reason u dont want gray in the weld is because u cant always tell if it wiil clean up. aim high its ok,
its what i do anyway. and in some jobs i loosen up.
jody c "somtimes good inough is better"
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

mpete53 wrote:My weld polish up good enough for my needs so as long as strong and stainless.

So I guess its time to just keep welding and get better if not as shiny as I would like, welds.

Thanks

Mark

Yup,but don't forget what you have learned in this thread. Welding with contaminated gas is relevant to welding with blunt tungsten. In worst case arc wanders and no matter what you do your welds look completely awful.

Change the bottle when the time comes and check if anything chances. Also fix those leaks when you have enough spare time. After all you can't improve your skills very far if machines aren't working properly.
-Markus-
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I just started welding Stainless today, whatcha think :mrgreen:

In all seriousness this I welded with my Jumbo CK gas saver (1-1/8"), 1/16" tung, 60amps 2.5pps 50%/50%, travel speed is fairly quick, full penetration with a back purge. Your doing fine, lots of good guys and experience on this site that will help point you in the right direction. Practice, Practice and more practice
Attachments
brushed...
brushed...
pipe2.jpg (26.94 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
just welded 316L
just welded 316L
pipe.jpg (57.73 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
mpete53

update

I am getting better. I still can't get the hang of the higher amperage welds you all talk about so I tried lower amps and a .040 tungsten and it seems to work for me'. I well keep trying those higher amp om practice plates though.

Plate weld: 16 gauge 304 stainless, no filler metal, 35 amps .040 tungsten #8 gas lens 20 cfh and resting on a 1/4 aluminum plate

Pole: about 14 gauge 316stainless with a internal stainless sleeve. Mostly without filler, 35 amps .040 tungsten #8 gas lens 20 cfh

brackets: 1/8 x7/8 unknown stainless pins welded no filler rest with 309. 45 amp 1/16 tungsten #8 gas lens 20 cfh. not yacht grade but cleans up enough for a work boat,

Thanks for your help

Mark
Attachments
IMG_1154s.jpg
IMG_1154s.jpg (55.57 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
mpete53

other photos that missed last post

Mark
Attachments
IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG (26.96 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
IMG_1150s.jpg
IMG_1150s.jpg (34.18 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

By George I think you got it! Looks good, keep burning only way is up from here.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
mpete53

I got a new Lincoln auto darkening welding helmet. What a difference from my old harbor freight darkening. Also got the cheater lens.

I can now see the puddle and the arc clearly. Being able to see lets me get the arc much shorter creating much less heat.

Weld shown is thin walled tube to 10 gauge plate. The only post weld treatment was a light wire brushing.

Thanks again for the help

Mark
Attachments
IMG_1158.JPG
IMG_1158.JPG (98.43 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

mpete53 wrote:I got a new Lincoln auto darkening welding helmet. What a difference from my old harbor freight darkening. Also got the cheater lens.

I can now see the puddle and the arc clearly. Being able to see lets me get the arc much shorter creating much less heat.

Weld shown is thin walled tube to 10 gauge plate. The only post weld treatment was a light wire brushing.

Thanks again for the help

Mark
Looking better Mark, its amazing what you can do when you can see ;)
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Even after having my Lincoln auto for several years. I find I I see a noticeable diferance in my quality based on how dirty I let my outer cover get.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
a6ustin
    Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:45 pm

Hello to all, what to say, this post is just what i needed, had the same problems with stainless, now i feel like i know what to do. So much knowledge here, thanks to all, saved me the re-post :D