Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I just started welding Stainless today, whatcha think :mrgreen:

In all seriousness this I welded with my Jumbo CK gas saver (1-1/8"), 1/16" tung, 60amps 2.5pps 50%/50%, travel speed is fairly quick, full penetration with a back purge. Your doing fine, lots of good guys and experience on this site that will help point you in the right direction. Practice, Practice and more practice
Attachments
brushed...
brushed...
pipe2.jpg (26.94 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
just welded 316L
just welded 316L
pipe.jpg (57.73 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
mpete53
    Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:33 am

update

I am getting better. I still can't get the hang of the higher amperage welds you all talk about so I tried lower amps and a .040 tungsten and it seems to work for me'. I well keep trying those higher amp om practice plates though.

Plate weld: 16 gauge 304 stainless, no filler metal, 35 amps .040 tungsten #8 gas lens 20 cfh and resting on a 1/4 aluminum plate

Pole: about 14 gauge 316stainless with a internal stainless sleeve. Mostly without filler, 35 amps .040 tungsten #8 gas lens 20 cfh

brackets: 1/8 x7/8 unknown stainless pins welded no filler rest with 309. 45 amp 1/16 tungsten #8 gas lens 20 cfh. not yacht grade but cleans up enough for a work boat,

Thanks for your help

Mark
Attachments
IMG_1154s.jpg
IMG_1154s.jpg (55.57 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
mpete53

other photos that missed last post

Mark
Attachments
IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG (26.96 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
IMG_1150s.jpg
IMG_1150s.jpg (34.18 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

By George I think you got it! Looks good, keep burning only way is up from here.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
mpete53

I got a new Lincoln auto darkening welding helmet. What a difference from my old harbor freight darkening. Also got the cheater lens.

I can now see the puddle and the arc clearly. Being able to see lets me get the arc much shorter creating much less heat.

Weld shown is thin walled tube to 10 gauge plate. The only post weld treatment was a light wire brushing.

Thanks again for the help

Mark
Attachments
IMG_1158.JPG
IMG_1158.JPG (98.43 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

mpete53 wrote:I got a new Lincoln auto darkening welding helmet. What a difference from my old harbor freight darkening. Also got the cheater lens.

I can now see the puddle and the arc clearly. Being able to see lets me get the arc much shorter creating much less heat.

Weld shown is thin walled tube to 10 gauge plate. The only post weld treatment was a light wire brushing.

Thanks again for the help

Mark
Looking better Mark, its amazing what you can do when you can see ;)
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Even after having my Lincoln auto for several years. I find I I see a noticeable diferance in my quality based on how dirty I let my outer cover get.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
a6ustin
    Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:45 pm

Hello to all, what to say, this post is just what i needed, had the same problems with stainless, now i feel like i know what to do. So much knowledge here, thanks to all, saved me the re-post :D