Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rprecision
    Thu May 05, 2016 9:47 pm

I am brand new to TIG Welding and have never even pushed a pedal!

For years I have always had a interest in TIG welding and have had numerous small projects over the years it would have been perfect for. The problem was and is, cost! The idea of a $4k machine is out of reach. I have put it off for too long getting by with a crappy MIG!

Jody's videos and others have encouraged me to give it a shot.

I know there is great debate over transformer vs inverter vs import vs domestic. Got it, read it and understand it.

I have chased craigslist 6-8months) and either find a 3 phase refrigerator sized machines from the 60's or newer machines with showroom prices.

Here's the deal, I have a $1700 max budget to get a machine that will do the following:

-can weld alum and steel from razor blade (.050"ish) to 1/4" I am fine doing multi pass to get to thicker materials which is rare. (AC/DC 200 ish amps)

-stick weld

-good adjustments for a novice / home machine shop / ranch etc

-35% Duty cycle or better

-Air cooled torch, I cant justify a water cooled torch.

-be something I wont outgrow in less than 3 years

-reliable for my use (Not a job shop)

-Prefer a portable machine, dual voltage is not a must but a handy idea. I have 220 @ 40 amp service readily available.

I have looked very hard at the Everlast 200DV, 210EXT and 250EX. I considered the Hobart TIG but it misses by a long shot. Lincoln and Miller are out of reach. HTP seems like a decent machine but also a bit out of budget. ESAB Rebel is DC only and misses the mark. AHP seems like way to much of a risk and falls under the Harbor Freight rule (If it plugs in or has moving parts don't buy it!)

I understand Everlast has received mixed reviews which seem to be both process and product dependent. The later stuff seems better the when they first came out. I look at what the market offers, my needs and don't know any alternatives ?

I also don't know which Is best for me 200DV, 210EXT and 250EX?

I have watched enough machine reviews to throw up

Thanks for your input, Charles
Least honorable
    Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

rprecision wrote: very hard at the Everlast 200DV, 210EXT and 250EX. I considered the Hobart TIG but it misses by a long shot. Lincoln and Miller are out of reach. HTP seems like a decent machine but also a bit out of budget. ESAB Rebel is DC only and misses the mark. AHP seems like way to much of a risk and falls under the Harbor Freight rule (If it plugs in or has moving parts don't buy it!)

I understand Everlast has received mixed reviews which seem to be both process and product dependent. The later stuff seems better the when they first came out. I look at what the market offers, my needs and don't know any alternatives ?

I also don't know which Is best for me 200DV, 210EXT and 250EX?

I have watched enough machine reviews to throw up

Thanks for your input, Charles
hi there, im fairly new to tig too, and i had the same worries about the 250ex mixed reviews, but i realized they where from around 5 years ago when everlast tossed in a cheap foot pedal and decent torch, im getting a 250ex as soon as the canadian manufacturer refills its storage, and from what i read now they have vastly improved. it has damn near all the settings you will ever need, as far as i know. in a video from (i think) 1 year ago you can see roy crumryan (sorry for the most likely misspelled name), he has an everlast 250ex in the backround and jody points it out and says its 5 years old and still remains one of his go-to machines.

that being said, the powertig 250ex can do both 120 and 240, which is a good thing, but you said you would use gas cooled, and unless youre gonna really need to use that 200+ amps (keep it mind that means carrying a garden hose, less flexible lead) around the shop or wherever youre welding. about the amperage, both can do the range of things that you said ( as im sure youve done your own research judging by your thread). the downside to 200dv is youre loosing out on 50 amps,and you dont have a 120v option but if you wont use that 50 amps, and you dont care about the 120volt option, then missing 2 pros of the 250ex, might be worth saving 350$ to get more equipment for your welder, such as a ck torch( i got flexloc 150 for about 250 or so, dont remember exact price), filler rods and a crap ton of metal.

[edit]: just realized you asked for a machine that can do 1/4 inch, which is ran as far as i know 230 amps or so, so if youre really gonna do 1/4 inch then it seems that the 250ex is your only option because of that extra 50 amps.

regards
noah
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

I know where a used Dynasty 200 is at that might be for sale around that money. I called the guy and left a message. Is that something you might be interested in?
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Retorpak
    Tue May 17, 2016 8:04 am

I was looking for my first tig couple weeks ago. I ended up with Thermal arc 186. It was around 1700. Be sure to leave some of the funds for gas accessories and cart. If i could find dynasty 200dx for less than 2k then i would defienietelly go with miller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Retorpak
    Tue May 17, 2016 8:04 am

Used dynasty would be my first choice. If you have enough juice in your garage/shop then i would also consider syncrowave machines.

I chose thermal arc 186 because i have 50amp max available in my garage and i could not find good deals on used miller equipment. I got the thermal for 1700 shipped. Plus i spend another 500-600 on cart, gas #9 torch and some other accessories.

Regards,

John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

Look no further than the new(er) Lincoln Square Wave 200. They are in short supply right now but I was able to get one out of Canada for about $1500.00 delivered.
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

I have a 250EX , 2015 model . It's a good machine. I've put a lot of hours on it since I've had it. It does good on thin to thick as you mention. There is a learning curve with TIG, You'll make some ugly messes in the beginning, it's normal. You could also consider a small, lower priced DC only machine , see if you're really going to like doing TIG or not. And If you don't, then you haven't sunk a lot of money in. If you find yourself really liking TIG and see yourself sticking with it, sell the starter machine and move up to a bigger machine like a 250 EX or comparable . I run an SSC foot pedal, their stock pedal works but the SSC is much better. I also have a CK17 torch, that's a good torch to start with as opposed to what comes stock. It will get HOT if you do much Alum. Again, if you find yourself really getting into it, you'll move to a bigger machine and probably start considering water cooled. Especially if you start doing much Alum . Good luck .
weldit321@gmail.com
    Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 pm

Go with an Everlast I have two and love them both. Consider getting a Tig/Stick/Plasma unit with AC/DC tig that way if you want to go with aluminum down the road you will have that capability. And having a plasma cutter around the shop is extremely useful and you will use it more than you might think. I use mine All the time and have never had a moment's hesitation out of either of them. Consumables are cheap and the machines are very easy to learn.
I have an everlast PowerPro256s -1800$ and it is packed with features. 60amp plasma 250amps AC/DC Tig adjustable everything high speed pulse low speed pulse. Everything you will need or ever want.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Least honorable wrote:the powertig 250ex can do both 120 and 240
The 250ex is not dual voltage, according to the website. However, wouldn't be the first time the website is wrong. Bears looking into, since the OP desires dual voltage.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
rprecision
    Thu May 05, 2016 9:47 pm

Thanks for all the replies,

I have done some more shopping and looking this week.

I spoke to Everlast and discussed machines. I am looking real hard at the 210ext. It seems to fit all my needs, gets good reviews and has features I can grow into. Ironically, I was looking at a combo plasma version the 211 and 251s. Everlast was pretty upfront in telling me they have had the most problems with their combo machines. They were quite honest and straight forward.

I really appreciate all the feedback, now its time to ponder !
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:06 pm

I see this thread is pretty old, but what did you end up getting?