mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
tRidiot
    Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:01 am

I assume this would be the place to ask this question.

I used a Yeswelder MIG-250PRO for a little over a year until it died last night. Now I'm shopping. The Chinese unit was just proof-of-concept for me, that this hobby is something I enjoy and will stick with doing. No way I could invest a couple of grand into something I had never tried before and then find out it wasn't something I liked or would continue doing.

So...

Now I'm looking at some other models. I'd prefer to buy new - warranty is obviously something that is important to me at this point, with a purchase this large. I know it may not seem large to many of you guys, but for me, this is out of my 'play money' budget, so I'm going to have to work with what I've got.

Definitely everything I have done to this point is GMAW, pretty much all .035. I don't do any thin stuff like 16g or 20g. Essentially all 11g and larger, up to 1/4" or 3/8". A rare, non-structural piece of .500wt 8" pipe, but nothing load bearing or anything like that. I'd also like the ability to do stick and eventually TIG - though I'm not sure I'll get into that, I'd like the capability if I decide to do so, like folding and welding AK receivers, etc. Mostly, I'm building smokers, though, so it's heavier stuff, not little fine work on sheet metal. Pretty much all carbon steel, as well, I don't see me getting into stainless or aluminum anytime soon.

Pulse is something I've considered would be nice to reduce heat input into work piece when doing long continuous runs of weld, 30" or more on 3/16" or 1/4" material. Maybe that doesn't seem like much to you guys, but that's about the longest I'll run, probably, at one time.

Some units I am looking at.

Lincoln 211i ~$1350
*Lincoln 215MPi ~$1600 after rebate
Miller Millermatic 211 ~$1550 after rebate
Miller Multimatic 215 ~$2100
Esab Rebel EMP 215ic - ~$2200 after rebate
Esab Rebel EMP 235ic - ~2900 - this is really pushing the budget too far, although I'd like to dream, for if I end up doing much work over 3/8"

I'm kind of looking at Bakers Gas, as I could use their payment/finance option to get the ball rolling (if The Wife will approve) and get back to work within a couple of weeks. If not, I'll be waiting a couple of months if I'm going to purchase outright, as I have a bonus coming in at work on May 1, but I don't want to give up 6 weeks of prime shop time. I work in the shop after work and on weekends, so I need to maximize my available time before the heat gets unbearable again.

I could go with something cheaper, could find something used... but, as many people say, here and other places - buy once, cry once. I know I started out with a cheapie unit, but again, that was as much about proving this was a hobby I could stick with as anything else, and I definitely got 'the bug' to keep building, so now I'm looking to invest a little. I'd like something with a 40% duty cycle or so, but I'll need to step up for that, I think. I won't be using it that heavily that I would NEED a 40% duty cycle all the time - but when I get things set up to weld, I might spend half an hour or an hour welding pretty heavily. Then I'll stop for hours or even a day or two. I guess I'll just need to plan to weld a minute, stop 2 minutes, weld a minute, stop 2 minutes, for most stuff. I hate stopping when I'm on a roll, though! lol

Anyways, I'd love some thoughts on the above machines, especially anyone who has used several of them, to give me your pros and cons you've experienced? I'm also open to other options in that budget range.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!
tRidiot

Ugh! Just found an Esab 285ic on FB Marketplace for $1600 - but it's 3-phase! <sigh> Would have loved to pick that up, but I'm sure that's why it's lower priced, difficult to sell 3-phase equipment here, I think. Not very many people can use it.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Any of those will be fine. I have a MultiMatic 200 (predecessor to 215) and it has been bulletproof. If you are focused on MIG work, with some Stick thrown in, I'd steer away from a multiprocess TIG-capable box. It adds cost without a lot of features. Also check out the PrimeWeld MIG boxes on Weldmonger.com. They are dual voltage, come complete, and are very, very good machines for side hustle jobs.
cj737

You don't need pulse on Smokers. Mainly it has lots of application when welding thinner material. It's popularity over the past few years makes it more of a "feature" than a requirement. Millions upon millions of miles of MIG welds occurred long before pulse. Things like that tend to be more "Indian than Arrow" capability.

Even modern Inverter welding machines because they can, offer lots of advanced functions. Yet, for many decades welders constructed things without these features. Don't get attracted to things that have little application to the work you do. You'll save money and learn to be a better Indian than shooting fancy arrows. ;)
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

tRidiot wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:07 amPulse is something I've considered would be nice to reduce heat input into work piece when doing long continuous runs of weld, 30" or more on 3/16" or 1/4" material. Maybe that doesn't seem like much to you guys, but that's about the longest I'll run, probably, at one time.
Just to clarify, Pulsed spray MIG does not reduce the heat input compared to short circuit. It reduces the heat input a little bit compared to full-on spray-transfer, but certainly not compared to short circuit. It's a completely different process than say pulsed-TIG which can actually reduce heat input. If you want pulse and are in the USA, look no further than HTP Pro Pulse 220MTS. Mix your own 92/8 Argon/CO₂ and away you go.
tRidiot

I appreciate the information - I know pulse isn't a necessity for what I'm doing now - obviously, as you mentioned, people have gotten away without it for eons. I just thought if it's a feature that is available and I'm buying a machine I plan on using for many years for future projects, having that kind of capability is not ever a BAD thing...

But...

I'm much more interested at this point in BULLETPROOF than I am about extraneous features. Which is why Red and Blue are tops on my list, and I've seen/heard lots of good things about Esab and Everlast, as well. So... I thought I'd look into them, as well.
cj737

I don’t know anyone who would characterize an Everlasting as “bullet proof”. Mostly they call them “Neverlast” due to reliability issues. Esab is an excellent machine, as are HTP.

Don’t discard the PrimeWeld boxes. They are surprisingly good machines and are very inexpensive (not cheap). You can buy two or three for the price of the others you listed. Just saying-
tRidiot

I'm also now looking at the HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS, it definitely looks like a solid machine, and I found a video series on YouTube with this machine compared against the Everlast 25dpi (another machine I'd previously really looked at) which really tore them both down to even look at internal components and design - the Italian-made HTP sure seems like it's solidly built and thoughtfully designed.

Should I also look at the Primeweld 285 Jody sells on the Weldmonger store? It's under $1k, which would sure make my wife happy - it's multiprocess capable, and I know Jody is definitely behind Primeweld, which gives me a bit more confidence.... Additionally, it has a 3-year warranty, which is also very surprising! I need to delve into it a bit deeper and read specifics on the warranty, but that is encouraging. A 30% duty cycle at 285A sounds good - but then, my (former) Yeswelder I think boasted something like 60% duty cycle at 200A or whatever (yeah right).

Specific experiences with the Primeweld lineup and their 285A multiprocess, anyone?

I don't want to 'cheap out' again and get bit in the arse - I'm looking to buy something that is going to last me for many years. I know a lot of people will tell me to buy Miller or Lincoln and forget anything else if I'm looking for the ultimate in durability, and I respect that. I am open to options, and I don't want to go cheap and be left hanging - again. I'm sitting on my ass at home right now instead of out working in the shop, which is maddening.
tRidiot

cj737 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:11 pm I don’t know anyone who would characterize an Everlasting as “bullet proof”. Mostly they call them “Neverlast” due to reliability issues. Esab is an excellent machine, as are HTP.

Don’t discard the PrimeWeld boxes. They are surprisingly good machines and are very inexpensive (not cheap). You can buy two or three for the price of the others you listed. Just saying-

Thanks for this - I was just posting exactly asking about that specific question!
tRidiot

Man, I'm just vacillating from one end to the other - seems like every few hours!

I watched a ton of videos on the Primeweld, and they have the better warranty between the PW, Lincoln and HTP, but then... if the machine is well-built, I'd like to think I won't NEED the warranty! And have read some stories about the decline in Lincoln quality over the last 6-10 years. Lots of board failures, failure to honor their advertised rebates, etc. Not great customer service. I like the added power available in the Primeweld 285 for doing the rare ½" thick pipe, but I like the "European build quality" of the HTP - and I've actually seen videos of it torn apart and analyzed the differences in quality - at least between the HTP and Everlast. Can't seem to find the same kind of analysis on either the Lincoln 215MPi OR the Primeweld 285.

More power, better warranty for cheaper monies, or better build quality (European) for double the cost?

What to do, what to do...? The HTP is absolutely at the top of my budget - probably slightly above and will land me in the doghouse for a few days, but that's short-term pain for long-term gain, I figure, if that's the direction I decide to go...
cj737

If you opt for a PrimeWeld box, I encourage you to NOT buy the 285. Yes, it is a multi process box, but it will not run 6010 rods. And from your posts you don’t need a multiprocess box. Being restricted to lift arc DC TIG is pretty aggravating if you get into TIG work. I’d buy their separate TIG box and the 185 MIG. You get the full gamut of processes, materials, and polarity options that way. The TIG 225 is a very good machine and fully featured TIG/Stick box. It’s all you’ll ever need in your work.
tRidiot

I appreciate that information. I dont foresee myself needing 6010, I've never done anything with stick, other than just running a bead to see if I could do it... not a bad idea to have the capability to do some stick welding at some point, but it will be likely just an occasional use, if anything.

I actually could see myself getting into TIG someday, moreso than stick - and I've got a friend with a Lincoln tombstone 225 if it comes to that.

I was thinking of the Primeweld 285 more for the extra amperage for MIG more than anything significant as a multiprocess. I dont think the 185 would be enough for me, I'll be doing a lot of 1/4 and quite a bit of 3/8, probably.

So my biggest other frontrunner would be the HTP Pro Pulse 220. I'm just a little leery of the Lincoln units after reading some reports of board failures in the last few years. I know that there's a risk with anything these days, with most companies sourcing overseas boards. The Primeweld has a great 3 year all-inclusive warranty, and the HTP's is equivalent to Miller or Lincolns, also. <edit> I should clarify, the Lincolns I read a lot of problems about were the 210s, I think, which I believe are out of production now, perhaps with good reason? So maybe the 211i and 215MPi are improved designs, I haven't specifically heard anything bad about those two models. </edit>

I was told today that Primweld was 'founded' by engineers who were formerly with Esab and Thermal Dynamics (or Thermal Arc?), I think? I guess that's a good thing... supposedly American made (likely designed and 'assembled', like everyone else these days).

Friend of mine I'm working with this weekend has offered to loan me his Miller 211 for the time being. He's a very experienced welder and fabricator and he is really encouraging me to do the HTP - he is a big fan of the pulse capability. Not that I *need* it, but would be nice to have, I guess.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

tRidiot wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:07 pm I appreciate that information. I dont foresee myself needing 6010, I've never done anything with stick, other than just running a bead to see if I could do it... not a bad idea to have the capability to do some stick welding at some point, but it will be likely just an occasional use, if anything.

I actually could see myself getting into TIG someday, moreso than stick - and I've got a friend with a Lincoln tombstone 225 if it comes to that.

I was thinking of the Primeweld 285 more for the extra amperage for MIG more than anything significant as a multiprocess. I dont think the 185 would be enough for me, I'll be doing a lot of 1/4 and quite a bit of 3/8, probably.

So my biggest other frontrunner would be the HTP Pro Pulse 220. I'm just a little leery of the Lincoln units after reading some reports of board failures in the last few years. I know that there's a risk with anything these days, with most companies sourcing overseas boards. The Primeweld has a great 3 year all-inclusive warranty, and the HTP's is equivalent to Miller or Lincolns, also. <edit> I should clarify, the Lincolns I read a lot of problems about were the 210s, I think, which I believe are out of production now, perhaps with good reason? So maybe the 211i and 215MPi are improved designs, I haven't specifically heard anything bad about those two models. </edit>

I was told today that Primweld was 'founded' by engineers who were formerly with Esab and Thermal Dynamics (or Thermal Arc?), I think? I guess that's a good thing... supposedly American made (likely designed and 'assembled', like everyone else these days).

Friend of mine I'm working with this weekend has offered to loan me his Miller 211 for the time being. He's a very experienced welder and fabricator and he is really encouraging me to do the HTP - he is a big fan of the pulse capability. Not that I *need* it, but would be nice to have, I guess.
As I had mentioned in our conversation, the 220MTS is not capable of wire-feed welding ½" in a single pass. ⅜" is the max rating and that's only if you use gas-shielded flux core because it ends up being a spray transfer type process that goes in much hotter than short-circuit or even pulsed-spray with 0.030" solid wire. Also, not saying you were but just in case you were wondering, one cannot simply "add" pulsed-spray to other wire diameters in hopes of getting a hotter process, it just doesn't work that way like it does in TIG where one can add pulse at will. It's a very common misconception. It's a great machine, just not the machine for your intended needs. The Pro Pulse 300 on the other hand, is a complete beast that can pulse even 0.045" steel wire.
tRidiot

Those are very good points - and while I'd LOVE to get the HTP 220, I think I have leaned away from it because as much as I'd "like" the pulse capability... for my intended use (really, building smokers, for the most part), I don't think I'd use it much. Having to change out wire, having to keep a 2nd type of gas on hand (90/10 or 92/8), I just don't see it being super convenient for me. So... I'm really back to thinking about the Primeweld 285 (for the extra current capacity and 'headroom' using it well below max most of the time) and the Lincoln 211i or 215MPi. i almost think I'm against the Lincoln because I'm more of a non-mainstream guy. <sigh> I dunno... I need to set preferences aside and focus on performance and dollar-to-amp versatility.

It's a tough choice.
tRidiot

Just as an update for anyone here who might be curious, and for those in the future doing research of their own...

I purchased the Primeweld 285 yesterday, along with a cover, a 25-foot 6g extension cord and.. oh, a pair of gloves. lol. Came out something under $1200 shipped. I called and spoke with a human being with an understandable accent and mode of speed in about 5 seconds who was helpful and seemed to know what he was talking about, clarified a few things for me on the phone, reassured me about their warranty coverage and I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger.

Here's hoping it goes well. I'm sure it's a better machine than I am a welder.
tRidiot

Used my Primeweld MIG 285 a few times now - I like it, I think it runs great.

Put in a new 50A breaker and ran 6/2 wire to it, also using the 6g extension cord - just to make sure I am not having any kind of voltage drops, etc. I don't THINK that's what 'killed' my Yeswelder, but it never hurts to be thorough.

I used the Primeweld to build a new cart for itself, as it is too big for our older, wimpy little cart.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-22v ... DHQ-X2.jpg

Also, did some welding on a firebox I'm building for a smoker. Overall, I like the 285, plenty of power, runs well. I am learning some eccentricities, obviously every machine is different. MIG gun is a lot larger and heavier than the old one, but I am already getting use to that. Also the trigger is WAY sensitive on it, also quickly getting used to that, as well.

So far, I'd recommend the Primeweld 285 as a great machine, at a great price. 3 years handle-to-handle warranty WITH shipping is also a killer benefit. And it was half the cost of the Lincoln the HTP I was considering. So, that's a win.

Thanks for the advice I received here. This machine should handle my regular build needs pretty handily, and it will do TIG if I get into TIG welding - but if I get heavily into it later (doubtful?), I'll probably get a dedicated AC/DC HF machine. Anyways, seems to be working out well so far.