mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi eveyone.

Ive been welding for around 10 years now. Everytime I clean the Mig shround out I always cut the wire off first. But it occured to me if I leave that ball on the end of the wire untill after i finish cleaning the shroud it is safer because you can't get cut or stabbed by the sharp point of the cut wire.

Sorry if this seems a bit DERRRR but hey, some times you can't see the forrest for the trees eh?

Hope this helps stop a painfull hand stabbing.

Mick
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:25 pm

Reminds me of the moment I realized that my small home repairs came out a lot better when I finished the task before starting to drink beer..... :roll:
--Tater
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

That's it, but its amazing how much your skills improve after a few though.

Mick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:That's it, but its amazing how much your skills improve after a few though.

Mick
Maybe, but like in shooting pool or darts, there is a point of diminishing return ;) 8-)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I think it's the 10/2 rule that's in play here when it comes to your skills (and women), at 10PM they're a 2 and at 2AM they're a 10. :)

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Braehill wrote:I think it's the 10/2 rule that's in play here when it comes to your skills (and women), at 10PM they're a 2 and at 2AM they're a 10. :)

Len
I nominate this for "The Best Hijack Ever"!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Braehill wrote:I think it's the 10/2 rule that's in play here when it comes to your skills (and women), at 10PM they're a 2 and at 2AM they're a 10. :)

Len
I've played the game with those rules before....at least I think I remember those nights 8-) :D

Not as bad of a morning as a buddy of mine had though - here's the short version:

They met while drunk. She is legitimately hotter than him.
Went to his place and passed out - no sex.
During the night he cuddled up, spooning her - passed out again and peed on her.
In the morning he still had to drive her home....

I asked how the ride was....he said..... "...Quiet....."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Ouch
--Tater
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Okay, MinnesotaDave,

That's an even better hijack!

That's hilarious!

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Yep, that beats mine hands down.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

Oh man this thread reminds me of a time I had once that was less fan pleasant. I was working in a production environment pouring wire for 12-14 hours a day,(you see the other shift guy twice a day) and I was just beat and immediatly after finishing a weld I leaned on the fixture and accidentally stuck the red hot wire into my wrist and bumped a nerve, that hurt pretty bad. So on topic watch yourselves and stay safe!

Agreed, fatigue is the biggest danger of all.
I got a third degree burn from a hot tack falling on my leg. I have never heard of that from anyone else- obviously caused by my poor technique. I was using 6013 overhead to reinforce a 14-ft trailer with new cross members welded to the existing structure. I love the 6011 [this was corrected]- it's a very safe wire to use, fast freeze with light slag. That burn was so bad, it charred the full thickness black.
Whoever said he didn't want to see his wife burned, is a sincere and thoughtful man. After my pant leg stopped smoldering I worked the rest of the day and continued the following day. After the second day's work on the trailer I went home and changed the sway joints on my car. It was 95 degrees (hot for NH), my husband and I were under the car, and I said "Jack dear, what did So-and-So Auto quote to do this repair?" My leg hurt BAD. He said, "About 75 bucks." I have a good job- so does he. Don't recall what I said next but it was not ladylike.
By then cellulitis set in which quickly spread and scared the stuffing out of me... then a hospital visit, 2 weeks of antibiotics, and plastic surgery to remove the destroyed area and patch it. A week of missed work.
Very unusual for the molten filler to fall. I've never heard of it before.
Last edited by Tater on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Tater
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Tater wrote:Agreed, fatigue is the biggest danger of all.
I got a third degree burn from a hot tack falling on my leg. I have never heard of that from anyone else- obviously caused by my poor technique. I was using 6013 overhead to reinforce a 14-ft trailer with new cross members welded to the existing structure. I love the 6013- it's a very safe wire to use, fast freeze with light slag. That burn was so bad, it charred the full thickness black.
Whoever said he didn't want to see his wife burned, is a sincere and thoughtful man. After my pant leg stopped smoldering I worked the rest of the day and continued the following day. After the second day's work on the trailer I went home and changed the sway joints on my car. It was 95 degrees (hot for NH), my husband and I were under the car, and I said "Jack dear, what did So-and-So Auto quote to do this repair?" My leg hurt BAD. He said, "About 75 bucks." I have a good job- so does he. Don't recall what I said next but it was not ladylike.
By then cellulitis set in which quickly spread and scared the stuffing out of me... then a hospital visit, 2 weeks of antibiotics, and plastic surgery to remove the destroyed area and patch it. A week of missed work.
Very unusual for the molten filler to fall. I've never heard of it before.
Quick, lock this thread before someone sees the 6013 comment!!!! ;) :lol: :lol:
-Jonathan

You made me think again, and double check the invoice for the trailer job. I used 6011, not 6013. I'm going to edit the previous to reflect that.

Well, WWW.... ("When Wives Weld") :)
--Tater

This is the trailer. I tried to convince the owner his money was better spent replacing it. [img]
Annes95welding95project95031.jpg
Annes95welding95project95031.jpg (84.25 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
[/img]

The difficulty was that the owner did not want to rebuild it or replace it. He wanted it reinforced. He wanted to use scrap materials wherever possible. And, it had to remain usable the entire time.[img]
0427141302a.jpg
0427141302a.jpg (74.72 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
[/img]

The brackets are forged flat bar, hot tacked onto the axles.[img]
0425141613.jpg
0425141613.jpg (70.07 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
[/img]

It's not pretty, but it's safer than it was.
Attachments
0427141302.jpg
0427141302.jpg (67.82 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
--Tater
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

We can just pretend it's 6013 for arguments sake Jonathan ;)

I was burning a slot in a bracket for a kid at work the other day, and he goes "DUDE YOUR SHOE IS ON FIRE!!!" So I look down under my Oakley's (Great burning glasses by the way, didn't mean to find that out but they were all I had on a road call one day) and see my shoe smoldering. Needless to say, that foot cover is made of stronger stuff than my Shox, because it just barely singed it, and it dropped like a rock through my shoes. #OneLeggedProblems
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

^ Better than on your only foot. Lol
Always gotta have, a upside to look at.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:That's it, but its amazing how much your skills improve after a few though.

Mick
After a bottle of red, I'm a #%@king expert. What more can I say?
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc