mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:02 am

I have an Eastwood 175. I can't get it to weld 1/10 inch mild steel exhaust tubing even at the highest amperage. I have it hooked up to my dryer electrical outlet. 75/25 gas. :?:
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

HeavyPettingZoo wrote:I have an Eastwood 175. I can't get it to weld 1/10 inch mild steel exhaust tubing even at the highest amperage. I have it hooked up to my dryer electrical outlet. 75/25 gas. :?:

PICS?

I haven't got a clue as to what "I can't get it to weld" means. :)
Welcome to the forum btw.
~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

It means no penetration and lack of fusion...
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

I know this is obvious, but have you verified correct polarity on your machine?
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I tried flux core, hated it. Then somebody here pointed out the need to switch polarity. The difference was remarkable. Until then I had never heard the need to switch polarity.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

^^ What Bill says. Solid wire MIG is *typically* DC EP (electrode positive) while Flux Core is *typically* DC EN (electrode negative). To the OP, the electrode positive or negative is the polarity. Check the specs for the wire you're using, then change the machine's polarity to match. How to do that varies by machine: sometimes you jack the leads into the appropriate port, other machines require you to change buss bars or other internals inside the machine.
Dave
aka "RTFM"

Using solid core .023
Black wire is connected to the black - terminal. Red wire is connected to the red + terminal.
I think I have it correct. :?:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

HeavyPettingZoo wrote:Using solid core .023
Black wire is connected to the black - terminal. Red wire is connected to the red + terminal.
It's not a color-matching thing.

If the red wire is on your ground clamp and the black wire is on your wire feed, then you're probably DCEN, and have it right for solid wire with gas.

If the black wire is on your ground clamp, and the red wire to your wire feeder, then you're DCEP which is right for most flux-cored wires without sheilding gas.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:
HeavyPettingZoo wrote:Using solid core .023
It's not a color-matching thing.

If the red wire is on your ground clamp and the black wire is on your wire feed, then you're probably DCEN, and have it right for solid wire with gas.

If the black wire is on your ground clamp, and the red wire to your wire feeder, then you're DCEP which is right for most flux-cored wires without sheilding gas.

Steve S
Steve,
Your mixed up.

Solid wire and gas is DCEP.
Self shielded flux core is DCEN.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

So I'm now using .030 solid wire. Black clamp wire on negative terminal. Red wire feed on positive terminal

If I were somehow only getting 110v instead of 220v that might be giving me the problems I'm having?
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

HeavyPettingZoo wrote:So I'm now using .030 solid wire. Black clamp wire on negative terminal. Red wire feed on positive terminal

If I were somehow only getting 110v instead of 220v that might be giving me the problems I'm having?
That would definitely limit your output substantially if the machine runs at all. Wouldn't be good for it.
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid

xwrench wrote:
HeavyPettingZoo wrote:So I'm now using .030 solid wire. Black clamp wire on negative terminal. Red wire feed on positive terminal

That would definitely limit your output substantially if the machine runs at all. Wouldn't be good for it.

I'm calling an electrician and having a 220 volt 50 amp outlet put in my garage. I was going to do it eventually anyway. No more running a line from my laundry room. Wife will be happier this way too.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Here's a link to your manual:
http://www.eastwood.com/images/pdf/12012Q_MIG175.pdf

Page 6 discusses polarity, and how to switch it- figures c, d, and e.

Cool that you're getting 50 amp service! The 175 only *requires* 30 amp input, but a 50 amp circuit will allow you some growth later, if you like. More power, Scotty!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

If you are using 100% argon, you won't get much for penetration. Double check you have the right gas.

Well figured out the problem.
This thingy no workey.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

That'll do it.

Well after a two weeks a new drive motor and now a new gas solenoid my NEW welder is...STILL not working. I'm still waiting on the electrician to get the right voltage/amperage outlet installed in my garage.
In the meantime I've wasted an entire tank of gas trying to figure out what the problem is. YAY!
Good times!

Well I sold the Eastwood 175 and bought a Miller 211.
WOW
What a difference! SO MUCH BETTER!
I mean in that it worked right out of the box and the Eastwood did not...

HeavyPettingZoo wrote:Well I sold the Eastwood 175 and bought a Miller 211.
WOW

:D :D Funny how that works....

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Devildog2076
    Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:50 pm

HeavyPettingZoo wrote:Well I sold the Eastwood 175 and bought a Miller 211.
WOW

I had a Lincoln 175, sold it and bought a miller 211 also. This machine is the nuts!!!!