mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
marcusham4
    Fri May 22, 2015 11:10 pm

Evening Gentleman. Im here to ask if there is anyone here who works with large diameter ss flux wire who can give me some advice. I am a pretty good with welding duel shield .45 wire but ever since ive gotten a hold of this large diameter self shielded shit its thrown me for a loop i took a 1 inch single bevel test using it recently (in which im going to take again next week hence my need for advice) and did well until my cap in which i started my pass at bottom moved from the backup bar to the plate and it almost immediately dug about a half inch deep and blew my puddle out and fucked my test. now here is where i need help The inspector told me it dug so much because my stick out was to close not allowing the wire to preheat which i guess makes since but i thought i just had too much heat input until it did the same thing on a fresh plate....has anyone else had this problem while learning this wire? Any advice at ALL on this issue or large diameter ss flux in general is GREATLY APPRECIATED thank you. P.S-Passing this test would Greatly improve the quality of life for me and my family so no matter what advice you have let me have it lol
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi, I have heard that you can bring your stick out out a ways with Big wire, for the reasons you mentioned. I read it on the Lincoln website about a company that improved production with the technique. It feels really strange to do, but works.
marcusham4
    Fri May 22, 2015 11:10 pm

do you have a link i could use for that article?

Leave it with me. Not sure if I can get it on my mobile