mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
sru_tx
    Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:53 pm

I'm reworking my wrought iron driveway gate and I started by trying to do some simple changes on the gate in place. I pulled my MM211 (transformer-based) and tried to tack a few spots while running on 110V. (75/25 mix, 0.030" ER70 wire) The machine sounded sad/puny, the arc was weak, and I had a difficult time making a decent tack. (not a shielding problem) I tried the machine on 110 (same extension cord) in my garage and it seemed fine. I suspect the outlet I am using at the gate is a long run from the breaker box and I'm getting a lot of line voltage drop.

I have since pulled the gate off of its hinges and will weld the entire gate in my garage where I have 220V. The trouble is I need to move my automatic gate closer mounting tab which is welded to the 4x4 sq. tube post at the driveway. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get a few inches of weld laid down considering the power issue.

I'm wondering which process (or machine) would use less power? flux-core wire VS stick OR MM211 VS AHP200X (stick mode)

I've never stick welded but there's only a tiny amount to be done in a lightly loaded, non-critical location. Why not learn?

steve
Figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.

Better to be a "Learn it all" than a "Know it all"

I'm guessing the AHP, being an inverter machine, will have a lower draw than the Miller 211. If you have the manuals for both machines, the current draw should be listed in the specs. You're also probably right about voltage drop at the gate outlet.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
sru_tx

I think you're right, an inverter should be much more efficient at the conversion process. I also looked at Miller app and if I understand it correctly, the voltage and current required for a stick weld is lower than FCAW.

I have a suspicion my ground may not have been as good as I thought at the time and I know that all bets are off if the ground isn't solid. I may give it another try with a secure ground and may even try a different outlet if I can find one.

Still open to other ideas... chewing gum, bailing wire, superglue. :lol:

steve

Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

1/16" rod
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
sru_tx

DLewis,
Your suggestion of a small diameter rod gave me an idea. Before switching to stick, I'm going to ensure I have a good ground and use 0.024" wire. We'll see what happens.

sru_tx

I made sure I had a solid ground nearby. I switched to 0.023" solid ER70 wire.

Results?
The MM211 was much happier than previous attempt; however, the weld was still pretty cold. I stood on the tab and it held. Would I trust my life to that weld? heck no! In this particular application the worst thing that can happen if it fails is my gate won't open or close and my wife will have to get out and move the gate for me :lol:

In hindsight I probably could have TIG'd it.

steve