mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Ok heres another dumb question from yours truly. I know in Jody's recent videos he says he uses a straight argon for migging aluminum. Is that the best gas? I think I had somebody tell me that helium will work good too. Is this true? I'm trying to get my mobile spool gun set-up so that I can switch from aluminum to stainless and not have to switch out my fourth tank all the time. Any ideas? Is there a gas that will work well for both?
Be the monkey....
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

Have a look at this, section 2.9 on gases.

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/mig_handbook.pdf

I dont know of a gas that work well enough to be economical on alu and s/s. I think straight helium will work but not as well as the correct gases.

The most logical idea i can think of is to add a quick connect to you welding machine and gas lines so you can just pop off on line and pop on another.

http://www.westernenterprises.com/enter ... S/wi25.pdf

This will require 2 regulators and 2 hoses but is a quicker option, though if unless you are changing multiply times a day, it may not be worth it.

Mick
nickn372

Hey thanks Mick. It blows my mind to think about how many gasses there are and that thye all were mixed just for different welding procedures and things of that nature :? . I wish one would work for several things but it seems like that's not really gonna be an option.

Question for you though Mick... where about in Australia are you. I have some friends in Brisbane.
Be the monkey....

Hi,

It is amazing, the amount of gasses out there, you really have to watch that you have the right one for the process. Some guys i know dont care enough to check, but I make sure to check the WPS and make sure its all good. PS;have Im in Bendigo Victoria. around 1200 kms from Brisbane. Ive got lots of Relatives up there though.

Mick
nickn372

Gavin and Emma are realtors up there. Don't know if you'd know them or not.
Be the monkey....

hey,

Thats a negative mate, Its a bit of a big city. Take it easy, good luck with your mobile welding.

Mick