mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Weldworks
    Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:17 pm

https://ibb.co/eBD57F
https://ibb.co/hXOzZv

I have never run this wire before. I have run quite a bit of esab dual shield, 7100, 710x-m, 711x-m in .052 and larger in my millermatic 200, miller 12vs and an xmt, and ln-25 on various power supplies. I havent had any issues with penetration or any chronic weld defects.

Im running this wire in my lincoln 210mp, that is 1/4" flat bar, horizontal, think I was at 25 volts and 360ipm on that piece. I have tried a wide range of wire speeds and tried from 20 to 25 volts, pushed, pulled, gone straight, tried stringers, weaves. Wash in nice, come out looking really good and flat, cut it apart and no penetration and my root is staring at me. Same results in 1/8".
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Just a guess, but if you are not staying on the front of the puddle, this can happen even with parameters correct.

Some people call it "riding the puddle."

If you don't see the arc cut into fresh metal, then it didn't.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (42.09 KiB) Viewed 5748 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Weldworks

Appreciate your reply.

That was what I thought prior to my last runs above, that piece above was welded concentrating on staying as far in front of the puddle as I could. That was a 10" piece. Started dragging, then straight in, then push. 3/4" stickout throughout. Same results each cut and etch. I should have tuned down the wfs on the other side, 360 was kinda cooking along. I had more control night before last at around 315/320 ipm 23.7/24v.

BUT, There has got to be something Im missing technique wise with this small wire.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Based on lincolns chart I posted, you may just be running too cold (low amps for the thickness).

Crank up around 200 amps (settings from the chart) and see where that puts you on penetration. :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Weldworks

This little welder is balls to the wall as is. The reason im running it in this welder is actually from one of the welding tips and tricks videos, jody has a buddy who uses this wire in this machine.

I feel like im off technique wise somewhere with this little wire. The dual shield I normally run is much bigger.

I may try some straight c02 and see if that cuts me in there a little deeper.
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

@ Weldworks - we also run a Lincoln 210MP. Mainly for .030" solid wire MIG with 230v input power. Have not yet ran the rig in FCAW-G, as we use our Miller weapons (XMT 304 CC/CV; Trailblazer 301G w/ Extreme 12VS) with .045" Lincoln/ESAB wires for heavier duty applications requiring deep penetration.

In the vid your referenced with Jody and JD using the 210MP with .035" Outershield wire and C25shielding, JD's settings were 310ipm/22.5V. The application was on sch 80 pipe for a fill + cap pass application. Note, the root and hot pass were laid in using TIG on 120v with 1/8" filler and a 5/32" gap. Gut's telling us that max voltage and WFS on this machine for Outershield is not the preferred protocol. The Lincoln phone app for FCAW-G on 1/4" steel recommends 450ipm/25V. Again, not feeling those light-speed settings.

You should be able to achieve adequate depth of fusion with the 210MP and .035" Outershield for flat work. Test and cut, test and cut, like you are doing will confirm your settings are GTG. Retain a near 90deg gun angle (not an excessive lead or lag angle) as you travel. Also, watch your duty cycle so you don't melt that MIG gun on the machine!

Keep on trucking and let us know the machine parameters you eventually select for your application.
Purpose, then passion. Practitionership. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.
bwsinger
    Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:09 pm

I am wondering if there is an update to this problem because I am getting the same lack of penetration on 1/4" stock with the same 210mp machine and the same .035 lincoln 71M. Welds look good, wet in nicely but cut and etch reveals very little penetration. Was hoping for something like 7018. By the way, one setting I was really hopeful on was 500ipm and 21.7 volts. Nice tight arc and the machine recorded 195 amps. How can that not penetrate?!!! Must be doing something wrong, but like the original post, I think I tried everything, even a different wire (ESAB 7000 dual shield). Anyone else with a 210mp have any success?
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

bwsinger wrote:I am wondering if there is an update to this problem because I am getting the same lack of penetration on 1/4" stock with the same 210mp machine and the same .035 lincoln 71M. Welds look good, wet in nicely but cut and etch reveals very little penetration. Was hoping for something like 7018. By the way, one setting I was really hopeful on was 500ipm and 21.7 volts. Nice tight arc and the machine recorded 195 amps. How can that not penetrate?!!! Must be doing something wrong, but like the original post, I think I tried everything, even a different wire (ESAB 7000 dual shield). Anyone else with a 210mp have any success?
I experienced that same thing with my MP210.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Just a thought what's your polarity set for at that amperage on 1/4 you should have hot lava

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
bwsinger

Electrode positive. That's the only choice on this machine to get gas flow too.
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Looks like on page 16 you can change wire drive polarity but maybe like you said you will loose your gas function it's worded strange though says you can then says in the text it isn't either way I think electrode positive should put the heat to your work I run a Lincoln idealarc sp 255 totally different machine but for 1/4 at the numbers your using it would blow out the back so something must be off I guess if you try some 6011 6013 7018 etc they all penetrate good so you know the machine can make the amperage it needs chart also says for that heat 220 input hope you figure it out simple stuff can drive you crazy sometimes

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I know this is an older post, but to the OP, what is your stickout distance? You need at least 3/4 of an inch to properly pre heat the wire. If you are holding a tighter CTWD, that may be the issue.
Multimatic 255
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I know this an older thread, but was a solution ever found as to what was going wrong ?
bwsinger

I gave up on it. Flux core penetrates great and gas shielded is good too.I was thinking I should try it again with fresh shielding gas but never got back to it. I don't really need the dual shield for the jobs I do.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Oh ok, 10-4. I'll have to double check my test results to see what is what. I don't have Lincoln 71M in 035 size, but I'll check out my HTP and Kiswel 035 dual shield wires.